Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Model Shot

Model Shot

This shot was done for a friend of mine to lauch a new clothing line. It was taken with a 30MP digital back ($25,000) on a medium format camera. It was not mine however, we only rented it.
    Last edited by BoingBoing; 04-16-2007 at 06:47 PM.

Re: Model Shot

I am no portrait expert but I feel the lighting on her face is bad. From the nose down it is way to dark. There is a heavy shadow under the chin that is distracting. Maybe you should have invested a little more money in some reflectors or flashes.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

I feel the shadow of her chin on her neck is the main crit but what is good about this I feel outweighs that problem.. It is a fun, happy and original pose from who I imagine is a fun character to be with. I love the almost triangular background shapes formed by the angles of her shoulders, which nicely fill the bottom of the frame, and her afro hair that correspondingly fills the top of the frame..
    And that smile definitely takes the place of open eyes.
    Very enjoyable indeed.
    Tom
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

Quote Originally Posted by BoingBoing
    This shot was done for a friend of mine to lauch a new clothing line. It was taken with a 30MP digital back ($25,000) on a medium format camera. It was not mine however, we only rented it.
    I see two problems: a) you forgot the clothes (for your clothing ad) b) the harsh shadow almost looks like a beard and the eyes need some light bad. :cryin: Has the makings of a wonderful photo -- just didn't quite get there.

Nikon AND Canon!

Sorry to beat a dead horse here, but it really seems like all the lighting is coming straight from over her head.

If you still have the camera rented you should take the pic again with some more lighting and resubmit it here. Otherwise it's not like the photo is "terrible" or anything. I think people just expect to see something amazing from a 30mp, $25k camera.

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

Completely against the grain, but I really like it. I think the shadow could be brightened up a bit more just softened if shooting with a bigger source, but then you wouldn't get the detail and texture that this image has. The backlighting helps to add depth to the image, especially right around the top section of the neck. great smile, and good toning. Two small things: as previously mentioned, the shadow's a bit intense, and secondly, the white BG is kind of...boring. If you're trying to catch attention with an ad, white's not the way to go. My personal opinion.

I hate intrusive advertising! Bye PR HowLowCanYaGo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lava Lamp
    b) the harsh shadow almost looks like a beard and the eyes need some light bad. :cryin: Has the makings of a wonderful photo -- just didn't quite get there.

I completely agree with you here. You definitely need to reshoot with some better lighting if the oppourtunity still is available.
    HLCYG no longer visits this forum

..............Where are the cloths? I agree about the lighting like everyone else. Why are her eyes closed, I think that takes away from the shot. Also the hair is way to sharp, it looks so fake to me. Kind of stiff. I am sorry but I think this one goes in file 13!

How can I be lost
    If I've got nowhere to go?

Sony a55 16-50mm 2.8 ssm Minolta 50mm 70-300 dt 5.6

Thread Information