Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Mid day find "If the walls could speek"

I was out shooting a ball game and on my way home ran across this gem. I thought wow what a shame, to let a building like this go by with out a few shutter clicks. So I jacked on my brakes, threw my wife into the dash and did a U turn.

Ball Game!

The find.... Please what do you think? (I did a tab bit of photoshop work, too much?)

How can I be lost
    If I've got nowhere to go?

Sony a55 16-50mm 2.8 ssm Minolta 50mm 70-300 dt 5.6

Re: Mid day find "If the walls could speek"

Great church. The first looks a little over saturated to my eyes. You'll have to come back in better light, this is a great subject.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

good subject...I love old buildings. Good angles.

Woah, great find Tyson! Lots of possibilities with this church. Love the composition of the first one. I kind of like the harsher mid-day light with this. Though, not sure the bumped up saturation works so well. I think with this I would go a little more subdued color wise. Would love to see this B&W or sepia. Nice shots Tyson

Aaron
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

It's a great subject, Tyson. I like the first one best as it is not such a tight crop as the other. Loosening the crop some more and including some of the surroundings can make this alot more interesting. Also, a better time of day for less contrasty conditions. Hopefully this is not too far from you as going back there would be great.
    btw, hope your wife is ok. . .and forgives you
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

The ball game I was at was an All Star Game for girls softball, end of the year type stuff. I don,t usually go down that way but I wil now have to return there.

The back side of the building faces the west, should I go for a front lit sunrise or a back lit sunset?

How can I be lost

Front lit sunrise :thumbsup:
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

Love + Music + Photography = Life CLKunst's Avatar

Great find Tyson!! Looks like an old one room school house or something, who would paint a church red? Go for the sunrise light! I think you'll be happy you got up early.
    C.L. Kunst - CLicKs Photography
    Asheville Photographer
    www.clicksphotography.net

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Great find! Very worth the trip for better light. These aren't bad at all...just worth the better light trip.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Sunrise or sunset---I don't think it matters. This place will yield some great shots either way. Nice find!
    John

On the first one - the group shot - I might try to find a way to shake it up a little. The team picture has been done this way since Abner Doubleday invented baseball and whoever invented softball did the same. You kinda have to follow the format and I understand that. What I've tried to do is do one shot like this and do one that is more casual and free-form. I usually do a web search of team shots, print out a few, bring them with me and show them to the team, saying we're going to do a formal stand-up and then do a few fun ones. They always love it.

The second one has a lot going for it, but ultimately wouldn't make it into my "keeper" pile because the face is blurry/out of focus. I read a famous nature photographer once saying that as long as the eyes are tack sharp, you can have some blur, but once the eyes are blurred, you might as well throw it out. I tend to agree. I don't know if it was shutter speed or focus away from the face...

The building is interesting. On both the shots, I might try some less conventional angles - get closer, maybe kneel on the ground - and I might also open up the lens a little to blur the background more.
    Last edited by Lava Lamp; 07-22-2007 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lava Lamp
    On the first one - the group shot - I might try to find a way to shake it up a little. The team picture has been done this way since Abner Doubleday invented baseball and whoever invented softball did the same. You kind a have to follow the format and I understand that. What I've tried to do is do one shot like this and do one that is more casual and free-form. I usually do a web search of team shots, print out a few, bring them with me and show them to the team, saying we're going to do a formal stand-up and then do a few fun ones. They always love it.

The second one has a lot going for it, but ultimately wouldn't make it into my "keeper" pile because the face is blurry/out of focus. I read a famous nature photographer once saying that as long as the eyes are tack sharp, you can have some blur, but once the eyes are blurred, you might as well throw it out. I tend to agree. I don't know if it was shutter speed or focus away from the face...

The building is interesting. On both the shots, I might try some less conventional angles - get closer, maybe kneel on the ground - and I might also open up the lens a little to blur the background more.

Wow, thank you for the in depth C&C!

How can I be lost

I agree what has been said of the lighting and Gary's comment on a looser crop. When you go back try and place the camera around a little to the left and try and get some more field into the shot. An early morning mist would be sweet. Throw that Oly in B&W and try it's different filters. But this is a splendid find and you handled it well for what you had. I like it.....
    To me it almost looks like an old school house? What a find.....
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    I agree what has been said of the lighting and Gary's comment on a looser crop. When you go back try and place the camera around a little to the left and try and get some more field into the shot. An early morning mist would be sweet. Throw that Oly in B&W and try it's different filters. But this is a splendid find and you handled it well for what you had. I like it.....
    To me it almost looks like an old school house? What a find.....
    It will be a week or so before I can return to this spot. It is off the beaten path. Thanks for the advice Greg I shall try a lefty shot.

How can I be lost

Great find on the church/schoolhouse! I like the second one of it but, like others have said, the crop is bit tight. I'm thinking the rule of thirds and better light would make it pop big time.

Canon EOS 350D
    Canon EF 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6 USM
    Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM
    Sigma 18-50mm f/3.5-5.6 DC
    Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG
    Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    Canon Speedlight 430EX

My Flickr Page

Thread Information