Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Two of today's shots

Took these a few hours ago in our neighbourhood... and would like to hear you're honest opinions about them. Do they work OK, have potential, need adjusting – maybe even re-shooting and/or a permanent trip to the recycle bin?

#1. A lone pine cone which happened to "catch" my eye.

Attachment 62737

#2. Colorful banner on a lamp post. Backlit by the sun and partly "framed" by a snow bank.

Attachment 62738

EXIF intact. An adapter tube, Tiffen UV Haze-1 filter, and a lens hood were used for both.

Re: Two of today's shots

I think they're good photographs. The colors in the second one are very vibrant, and the pictures are both clear. However, neither of them really pull in my attention.

Technically they are both fine, but as EverlastingImpressions stated neither really "grabs you". I like the idea behind the first shot, but the pine cone isn't enough to carry it, and I feel like it might almost be better without it. The second is simply a nice snapshot of a pair of flags on a pole, kinda "ho hum". Sorry if it's not the answer you hoped for, but it is an honest opinion.

Edit to add:
    Try this and let me know what you think...
    Crop the second shot removing the pole and everything to the left of it. Then remove the horizontal flag hanger and everything above it. then remove everything below the point on the lower left where the bottom of the flag connects to the pole. Should leave you with a curvy colorful flag on the left, blue sky on the right and a little clump of snow at the bottom. *I think* it makes it a much stronger image.
    Last edited by jetrim; 01-03-2009 at 06:19 AM.

E.I. & jetrim – I appreciate your taking the time to reply/comment.
    Quote Originally Posted by jetrim
    Try this and let me know what you think...
    Crop the second shot removing the pole and everything to the left of it. Then remove the horizontal flag hanger and everything above it. then remove everything below the point on the lower left where the bottom of the flag connects to the pole. Should leave you with a curvy colorful flag on the left, blue sky on the right and a little clump of snow at the bottom. *I think* it makes it a much stronger image.
    jetrim: Great suggestion for improvement, it worked well and I think I like the shot more that way. Thanks! :thumbsup:

Thread Information