Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Question Portraits - Jacquelynn

Hello - I'm new here These are some portraits shot of my sister. What do you think?

-Dianna

#1: ISO 100, Shutter: 1/60, Aperature: f/5, 5:00ish
    #2: ISO 200, Shutter: 1/80, Aperature: f/7.1, 4:00ish

Both in the shade
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Portraits - Jacquelynn-jac_portrait.jpg   Portraits - Jacquelynn-jac_tree.jpg  
    Last edited by Dianna; 11-29-2004 at 01:21 AM. Reason: Forgot the specs

They call me Andy... ACArmstrong's Avatar

Re: Portraits - Jacquelynn

I'm not very fond of the first one, and here's why. It looks as if (and I could be wrong), that she's doing what I do in photos, which is put on my "I'm getting my picture taken smile" - and it doesn't look quite right. Try to get her to laugh and smile for real - I think the picture will come out better.

Now, I really like the second one, but she looks a bit sad. But it seems to be a very real emotion, and that's good. The contrast is also better in the second photo - you see more of the spectrum from white to black and all the shades in between. The first one is bright white - dark black - with not a whole lot of the spectrum.

Oh yeah, and welcome to the forum. Please share more of your work with us!
    Andy Armstrong
    Please visit my photography site - Andy Armstrong Photography

Frequent Lurker

Hello.

Technically they are very nice photos. Very well exposed and sharp.

It is harder to critique on the other issues. What kind of portrait were you going for? Were you trying to document an emotion or were you trying to just take a nice photo of her.

The first one seems a little close, but definately has a kind of cool style to it, not the run of the mill portrait.

The second one is a little more typical.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that they both work. Both are different and convey a different feeling. I would continue to play with different angles and focal lengths to get the desired mood etc.
    Seattle Jo
    www.srjordan.com

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Hello Dianna. Welcome!

I like your second one alot! It's on the fringe of being a textbook image. I love the background - I don't know if you selected it on purpose but it's perfect! The lighting is nice and I like the look on her face - not "typical." She could be up to something... what is she doing? It makes me think. Only critique is I'd like to see more of her right shoulder - and possibly with natural light.

The first I am not too fond of on account of the flash is too "directional" or too close to her perhaps. There are some shadows on the right side of her face that frankly I don't think are very flattering. I'd soften the light - try diffusers, cheap home made ones work fine - or use natural light, and try using a reflector on her right to fill in the shadows a little.

I think your sister is capable of some amazing poses and I'd continue to work with her if you could!

Hope this helps,
    Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Thanks for your input!
    Dianna
    Digital Rebel

cfd

I really like the 2nd (B&W) shot. It's probably not the type of shot the the subject will prefer to look back on 10 years from now, but its an extremely interesting shot from the perspective of a third party viewing it for artistic purposes. There is a lot of mystery in the expression and lighting that keeps you looking at it. Also a very nicely composed background with the right DOF and lighting. The first shot is technically good, but to me its more of a typical school yearbook photo that primarilly has interest to someone who knows the subject. But, I'm willing to bet that the first shot is the one she likes better. Great job...

Thread Information