Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

A trio of portraits

Dear All,

I decided to pull out three of the most recent photos I took and have people comment on them. They are all portraits, and since I am not normally a portrait kind of person, I would appreaciate a few outside opinions. The first is not really a portrait, more of a profile. The second is a candid of my mom and my neice. The third was an impromtu portrait of my sister on the floor. Tell me what you think.

Dzerzhinski
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A trio of portraits-dad-profile-christmas-morn-04.jpg   A trio of portraits-grandmother-granddaughter.jpg   A trio of portraits-fritha-la-floor.jpg  
    "But what is strength without a double share of wisdom." John Milton

Lost Planet Cameraman #8

Re: A trio of portraits

Dear All,

I suppose I should provide a little background on the pictures. The profile is of my dad taking a nap. Actually I should preface all this by saying that all these photos were taken at my older sister's place during Christmas. So they probably could be called Holiday pictures, but they don't really exhibit any kind of "holidayness" about them . The second was kind of candid portrait of my neice and mom. Not really a portrait I guess, but close enough. The last is of my older sister lying on the floor on possibly the only sunny day while I was back in the Bay Area. It was rather impromtu and unplanned, but I think I managed to capture the moment rather well . Comments and critiques welcome.

Dzerzhinski

Lost Planet Cameraman #8

Still interested in everyone's opinions.

Dzerzhinski

Lost Planet Cameraman #8

I like the second photo best. Would like to have seen the little girls hands though. What she's holding or showing your Mom.
    Lara

Even if you are going for a dark look, the first one needs more light on his face. My firest reaction was that I was looking at a corpse because of the lighting. That's not the way most people want to portray their relatives. Also, the photo or scan seems a bit noisy.

I like the symmetry of the second one but the background elements are just way too distracting. Since it's not posed I realize it's hard to avoid situations like that, but maybe you could have tried to reduce the depth of field a little.

The third one is the best of the bunch. It's certainly the most "portaity" but her facial expression is too contrived for my taste. I don't whether that is her fake camera smile or she was just being silly. If it was the former, you need to find some gimmicks to get a more natural smile. If it was the latter, then she is not "selling it" and so it doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Lara
    I like the second photo best. Would like to have seen the little girls hands though. What she's holding or showing your Mom.
    Dear Lara,

My neice is about to squeeze a bunch of after sun lotion onto her hands (way too much ). My mother will then proceed to wipe off the excess, and rub it into her ankles. Repeat process as needed . My neice is quite cute and very active. Makes me proud to be an uncle. Thanks for the comments.

Dzerzhinski

Lost Planet Cameraman #8

Quote Originally Posted by EmbeddedMatt
    Even if you are going for a dark look, the first one needs more light on his face. My firest reaction was that I was looking at a corpse because of the lighting. That's not the way most people want to portray their relatives. Also, the photo or scan seems a bit noisy..
    Dear Matt,

I was going for an interesting, non "traditional" portrait of my dad, more like a profile. But I think you are right about the light.I probably could have exposed it about 1 1/2 to 2 stops more and it would have been better. The noise, as you noticed, is on account of my using Fuji Superia 1600. I don't mind the grain, but that is just me.

I like the symmetry of the second one but the background elements are just way too distracting. Since it's not posed I realize it's hard to avoid situations like that, but maybe you could have tried to reduce the depth of field a little..
    "Isolate your subject". I am not a portrait type of person, so I do not always think in terms of limited DOF. I usually am outdoors, with the problem of getting more DOF, not less. I wasn't in portrait mode at the time (maybe camera makers could make a switch for photographers to implant that would work like the dials on auto cameras, you know, the little running man for action, the flower for closeups, etc . Maybe that would solve my problem ).

The third one is the best of the bunch. It's certainly the most "portaity" but her facial expression is too contrived for my taste. I don't whether that is her fake camera smile or she was just being silly. If it was the former, you need to find some gimmicks to get a more natural smile. If it was the latter, then she is not "selling it" and so it doesn't work.
    Here is the scene. I pop over the top of the chair while my sister is lying on the floor, she gives me this silly grin, I shoot the picture. Trouble is, every time I try to take a picture of her, she gives me this tom fool of a grin, like she's had too much Prozac . I said nothing to her when I popped over the chair. She came up with the smile herself. Great for the family album, but not for my portfolio (not that I have one). Alright, my sister is a wonderful sister, but enough of the silly smile.

Thanks for the critique Matt,

Dzerzhinski

Lost Planet Cameraman #8

learning member

Quote Originally Posted by Dzerzhinski46
    Dear Matt,

I was going for an interesting, non "traditional" portrait of my dad, more like a profile. But I think you are right about the light.I probably could have exposed it about 1 1/2 to 2 stops more and it would have been better. The noise, as you noticed, is on account of my using Fuji Superia 1600. I don't mind the grain, but that is just me.

"Isolate your subject". I am not a portrait type of person, so I do not always think in terms of limited DOF. I usually am outdoors, with the problem of getting more DOF, not less. I wasn't in portrait mode at the time (maybe camera makers could make a switch for photographers to implant that would work like the dials on auto cameras, you know, the little running man for action, the flower for closeups, etc . Maybe that would solve my problem ).

Here is the scene. I pop over the top of the chair while my sister is lying on the floor, she gives me this silly grin, I shoot the picture. Trouble is, every time I try to take a picture of her, she gives me this tom fool of a grin, like she's had too much Prozac . I said nothing to her when I popped over the chair. She came up with the smile herself. Great for the family album, but not for my portfolio (not that I have one). Alright, my sister is a wonderful sister, but enough of the silly smile.

Thanks for the critique Matt,

Dzerzhinski
    1&3, you know their not good. Don't mean to hurt youre feelings.
    #2, Portrait Schmortrait! You've captured a slice of time. Very intimate, w/ both of their attention on the girls hands. I espeacially like the natural-ness of the sun burnning into the girls hair and top. YOU DID IT!
    Now give a small 4x6 or 5x7 framed print to each, and they'll remember a period in time, and maybe even the photographer!
    Mark

learning member

Quote Originally Posted by mdmc
    1&3, you know their not good. Don't mean to hurt youre feelings.
    #2, Portrait Schmortrait! You've captured a slice of time. Very intimate, w/ both of their attention on the girls hands. I espeacially like the natural-ness of the sun burnning into the girls hair and top. YOU DID IT!
    Now give a small 4x6 or 5x7 framed print to each, and they'll remember a period in time, and maybe even the photographer!
    Mark
    Just a suggestion, crop as tight as possible.
    Last edited by mdmc; 04-10-2007 at 02:41 AM.

Modification

Dear Mark,

Maybe this is better? I messed with the contrast and brightness on my dad's portrait, and cropped the one of my neice and mom.

Dzerzhinski
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A trio of portraits-dad-profile-christmas-morn-04-contrastbrightness-.jpg   A trio of portraits-grandmother-granddaughter-close-crop-.jpg  

Lost Planet Cameraman #8

The pic of the young girl is very unflattering to her. This type of lighting rarely works for females. Every minute flaw in her skin is accented.
    The pic of your dad just doesn't work. You are emotionally attached to the pic because of the subject matter. I first thought it was a statue or a pic of a clown in make up. You need to try this one again. #2 works for me although I would like to see the hands. I do not care for the lighting but it stll is effective.
    A great photo will stand on its own. No narrative is needed. If you feel compelled to explain its shortcomings you alraedy know its value as a photo.
    There is no accounting for taste....especially mine!!

learning member

Re: Modification

Dear Mark,

Maybe this is better? I messed with the contrast and brightness on my dad's portrait, and cropped the one of my neice and mom.

Dzerzhinski
    Dzerzhinski,
    I agree with all of the other posts.
    Regarding #1, Dad, even if it were well lit, maybe nobody but you would like it, and if you like it, that counts. To light this pic better try fill flash or a reflector. there just isnt any detail in the lower part of the face. maybe thats what you were going for, i cant tell because now the lower half is very noisy. I havent seen many portraits of sleeping
    subjects, He should be awake, although I know how coopperative Dad can be. HA!
    I think that its a good effort though, but sometimes available light just doesent work.
    re #3, You're sisters expression is so unnatural and tense!! If she looked relaxed and comfortable it would help. and then theres the harsh light... ok, on to
    #2, This is the type of "candid portrait" I like. I agree with others that the background is no good. it's distracting to the subject. You should be able to see what their attention is on, you're niece's hands, especially since they are partially showing.
    However, they are not reacting to you taking their pic. They are in their own little world. you're pic shows 2 people interacting with each other oblivious to anyone else. From my expirience, these are hard to come by. Most people react with a "say cheese" type of expression to somone pointing a camera at them.
    Also, I like that the exposure on the faces are very good, and to me the burned out hair and top on you're niece add realism to the scene.

Even if the bacgound were " Perfect" , and you could see the hands, and the lighting was Perfect", it still wouldn't be a great photo. but it is very nice. Save this one.

2 suggestions; fix or have somebody fix the bg, and have a look at cropping for a photo of just the niece.
    -----------

Try some portaits with window light; use the light from a window that the sun is not shining directly through; windows facing the north are always good; any window on an overcast day is good.
    Nice pic, wish I had taken it,
    Mark
    Whew!

Talking The other one...

Since everyone is clamoring for it, here it is . This is the other photo I took of my mom and neice. This one shows the hands and what they are concentraiting on. I thought the first one I posted was nice, but I guess this one is better. You can see the focal point of the subjects, and what their interest is focused on. Hope you enjoy!

Dzerzhinski
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A trio of portraits-meemaw-cassia-rose.jpg  

Lost Planet Cameraman #8

Thanks for the reply and the second shot Drew! I like it. Your niece IS very cute and your Mom is a lovely lady!!
    Lara

Question The rest of the story.

Dear All,

I guess that I should exhibit the rest of the people pics from the roll. I say people pics because they aren't really portraits as several of you have pointed out, they are a "slice of time" (thank you Mark ). I hope I have not been ignoring some gems (I doubt it ). Tell me what you think.

Dzerzhinski
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A trio of portraits-dad-cassia-christmas-04.jpg   A trio of portraits-meemaw-cassia-rose-2.jpg  

Lost Planet Cameraman #8

learning member

Re: The rest of the story.

Dear All,

I guess that I should exhibit the rest of the people pics from the roll. I say people pics because they aren't really portraits as several of you have pointed out, they are a "slice of time" (thank you Mark ). I hope I have not been ignoring some gems (I doubt it ). Tell me what you think.

Dzerzhinski
    As Lara said, and you're dad looks much younger healthier!
    Mark.

Thread Information