Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

tree stump and barn 1

I ventured out to the fingerlakes region of N.Y and found some more barns and things.
    What are your thoughts on this one?
    thanks
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Starting to think outside of the box icicle's Avatar

Re: tree stump and barn 1

To me it looks like it is a tad on the cool side. But I like it.
    Feel Free to edit my photos, However please explain what you did to them.

i just found myself a new desktop background! hope you dont mind...excellent work in my opinion

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Good one, Gary.
    I think it might be better if there was a bit more separation with the barn closer to the right side.
    Might look good as a b/w, too.

I never borrow others photos for a background or anything else without asking.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

your right.. gary do you mind?
    :mad2: SO MANY BUTTONS!

Feel free to take and edit any of my photos.

I wish the skies were a bit more dramatic. obviously the exposure and composition is right on as all your other shots are always. What i like about this shot is that connection between the tree and the wood of the barn and them being the same colour.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

I think it is pretty good, it just feels a little unbalanced to me. I like Frog's suggestion of separating the barn and stump more.
    "The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lang

flickr

The first thing I noticed that this shot does not appear to have received your usual subtle treatments in the sky area but perhaps I am wrong here.

It's interesting that you have kept both the stump and barn almost equally dominant, focus wise, and it works fine. But I also wonder how it would look if the barn was less in focus. The barn windows look as if there is a light on inside. Looks like you had a dullish day for this outing.
    Living in the city as you do Gary, it is wonderful that you can get out to the countryside of NY and find great subjects as these.
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

Thanks for all your comments on this. It is one of two compositions from this.
    icicle, i agree it is on the cool side and I am going to be warming it up a tad before finalizing It will also bring out the wood textures and tones some more.
    Brooklyn, glad you like it. enjoy.
    About the composition, I think cropping this from the right side to an 8x10 would balance it very well but I'm torn because i like the pathway that is just eveident on the right that sort of leads out to the bg. Also, I spaced it as I did because I was blocking some unwanted distractions in the bg with the tree stump.
    i will post the second version for your comments and to see how it compares with this first one.
    Thanks all.
    btw, Liban, I too like a more dramtic sky but that was about all I could tweak out of it. I could do more, but i don't want to overplay it.
    thanks

gary

Here is a second version shot with an 85mm prime as opposed to a wide angle. This has compressed the distance between the stump and barn so that one does not dominate the other as in the first when the stump was the "in your face" fg aspect.
    What do you think, and of the two which do you prefer?
    Tom, thanks for your comments and thoughts. Yes, not much treatment in the sky as usual.

[IMG]tree stump and barn 2[/IMG]

gary

From a compositional stand point I feel the second image is a big improvement. I like the balance of this version much better it seems that the silo and the stump act as counter weights. I always look forward to your post Gary.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I do like the second better. Can you get more out of the barn wood?
    Have you considered going b/w?
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

I also prefer the second one. I think the balance is much improved over the first shot. Something I also like is that the stump is angled towards the barn, rather than away from it. This sort of makes me want to look towards the barn more.
    "The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lang

flickr

Newbie critique I prefer the first image as the stump to me has much more character and should be prominent. Cropping the right closer to the barn might help as there is nothing of interest there. The barn looks a bit soft but doesn't harm the image.
    Pete
    Pete

Isn't it a cool thing in nature that the colours never seem to clash...

I have no issues with you editing my photos

I think I will stay with the first one mainly because of the prominance of the stump and the drama it's curve creates. But it is a close shave.
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

Just Lurking

Gary,

The second gets my vote. I agree with Frog on the first about the separation. I see what you were looking for on the path, but it seems almost too subtle to give it significant depth.

Nicely done on the exposure and lighting, but we wouldn't expect anything less from you.

PC

I wasn't sure at first between the two, but I think I like the first one better. Something about the distance between the two (barn appearing further away and not compressed like in the second shot) that adds more character to the pic. I find myself looking back and forth between the barn and the stump.

I like the second one much better. The first one almost looks as though you flashed the stump? Great work as always.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Thanks much OT, frog, cm_mtb, hminx, PC, ridgetop, and Greg always glad to see you back on here.
    I think both comps offer up something different. I agree with you guys that the second image feels better and more balanced , but the first one might offer more edgyness or that
    weird factor which I always like and go for. I think PC you are right that the right side path is not enough to work as I wanted and so I think cropping that first image to an 8x10 ratio will help it compositionally.
    Greg, there was no flash used on anything here but I did perhaps dodge a bit too much exposure into the stump. I also think I will tone that down some in my edit.
    I hate to keep two of nearly identical images but I'm torn between what each of these offers and so I'll go with both but give the first the crop and some edit.
    I thank you all much for the time to help me get these right and give me an idea of how these are received by non biased eyes.

gary

I agree with cropping the rt side some on the first one . Also what about opening up the aperture some and blurring the barn to make the stump the focal point??
    Just a thought. I like the 2Nd one also.
    Troy

Here is the first image cropped to an 8x10 format and warmed up a bit. i think its best this way and will go with it most likely.
    [IMG]tree stump and barn 1[/IMG]

gary

Starting to think outside of the box icicle's Avatar

Gary,
    I think this one is a keeper.

However it does have a very small distraction in it, and I shall try to point it out.
    on the right side of the stump there is a red and white thingy sticking out from the side, I think a little cloning would fix it.
    Feel Free to edit my photos, However please explain what you did to them.

Honestly, I still like the first better than the second & the crop. What draws me to the first that nobody else seems to have noticed is the triangle created by the stump, barn, and the right side vanishing point - it's very fluid. This has a very nice "slice of Americana" feel to it. I do like the composition of the second, though I'm not sure I'm crazy about the compression of depth.

I also think the first one looks better. The 8x10 crop seems a bit tight. But I also think it might be better if you had stepped to your right a bit to take the shot. BTW, it looks like to me the image could use some rotation adjustment because the barn seems to be leaning to its left a bit.

At the end of the day, Gary, your call.

GB1

I read the title and had a feeling this one would be good, Gary.

Very interesting. Two objects like this usually create negative tension, but they seem to compliment here. Perhaps because they're so different. I would keep this place ready for when the snow starts falling if you think you can drive in such conditions.

The sky adds a lot to the photo, but I also wish there were more dark patches up there. Post process?

One thing though: there seems to be a strange glow to the shot, esp on the tree. I haven't read the thread, but is this an HDR or did you do any editing of the shadow areas? Seems a tad unreal to me.

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information