Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: The Tree

The Tree

this is my first image, so please be as critical as possible

I'm doing a lighting serie on this tree, and this is the early morning (a little over sun rise time) version.

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Tree-tree-15.jpg  

Re: The Tree

Good shot I like the lighting a lot. Especially how it seems to get darker by the tree. Very good job.
    Snap It Up!!!
    Naz
    Nikon D5000 aka "Nikki D"
    Nikkor 18-55mm
    Nikkor 50mm
    Nikkor 70-200mm

There's good composition but if I were to be overcritical I would have to say that it doesn't evoke any feelings or emotions, its just a well composed dark contrast b&w image of a tree...

Also you might want to photoshop that little window of light(bottom right) or whatever it is...personally I find it distracting.

Thanks you

@Sid overly critical is what I'm after, so with that how would you suggest I bring feeling and/ or emotions to this image. like a said I'm working on a lighting series of this tree and this scene is less than a 5min ride from my house so I'm totally open to suggestions as I'll be making more photographs. I do have some frames with people and pets walking on a the trail perhaps that

again thanks

very nice composition and b&w conversion

Hard to critique something, being very picky this are my comments
    wish the highlights on the left were controlled , I mean more towards gray
    wish the construction behind the tree was not visible

Quote Originally Posted by Neous View Post
    Thanks you

@Sid overly critical is what I'm after, so with that how would you suggest I bring feeling and/ or emotions to this image. like a said I'm working on a lighting series of this tree and this scene is less than a 5min ride from my house so I'm totally open to suggestions as I'll be making more photographs. I do have some frames with people and pets walking on a the trail perhaps that

again thanks
    Its one thing thing to criticize, doing it better myself would be a whole another matter !

Nevertheless, I would try and compose the image more to the right of where you took the original, I know you want the path to move from the center of the frame but maybe doing it so that it cut's across diagonally would make it more appealing also moving to the right would remove the building and add more context of what is too the left of the tree. It looks like it might be on a small hill overlooking a semi-forested area and including more of that might be interesting.

This may or may not turn out better but its something I would try !

Quote Originally Posted by armando_m View Post
    very nice composition and b&w conversion

Hard to critique something, being very picky this are my comments
    wish the highlights on the left were controlled , I mean more towards gray
    wish the construction behind the tree was not visible
    thanks Armando
    the highlights can be revisited, as to the buildings behind the tree I can't lose them without loosing much of the base of the tree unfortunately

Quote Originally Posted by sid9221 View Post
    Its one thing thing to criticize, doing it better myself would be a whole another matter !

Nevertheless, I would try and compose the image more to the right of where you took the original, I know you want the path to move from the center of the frame but maybe doing it so that it cut's across diagonally would make it more appealing also moving to the right would remove the building and add more context of what is too the left of the tree. It looks like it might be on a small hill overlooking a semi-forested area and including more of that might be interesting.

This may or may not turn out better but its something I would try !
    thanks
    Unfortunately I don't have much room to work with as I'm trying to isolate a tree at a park near downtown. I have a river on the left of the image and buildings to the right

I guess that's why they call it making a photograph

I will give it a rookie shot... This was shot early...I would shoot at sunset to get the source of light to come from the right, highlighting the tree....so opposite time you are there in the shot. That light off to the left pulls my eye away from what you are trying to capture. I also wonder how low were you? Can you get lower or shoot from a ladder to get a different view, the higher shot may entitle you to get more to the right of the photo and get the path to sweep across the picture while eliminating the building?
    Last edited by ishot3bucks; 04-16-2012 at 08:27 PM.

GB1

The tree definitely works for me. It has a great shape that's mysterious and eerie. The tile of the ground doesn't work for me though, even if it's legitimate, as it makes me feel like things are sliding down the hill. I also don't think the left side rocks etc area well-lit enough to contribute to the photo; the image is about the tree. Do you have any closer shots of the tree? It's very neat.

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Quote Originally Posted by ishot3bucks View Post
    I will give it a rookie shot... This was shot early...I would shoot at sunset to get the source of light to come from the right, highlighting the tree....so opposite time you are there in the shot. That light off to the left pulls my eye away from what you are trying to capture. I also wonder how low were you? Can you get lower or shoot from a ladder to get a different view, the higher shot may entitle you to get more to the right of the photo and get the path to sweep across the picture while eliminating the building?
    thanks for pointers
    I'm trying to get images of this tree in a lighting series including night shots, so the "sunset hour" is in the planned shot.
    the tree is up a hill so i'm low enough to capture the base of the tree I have some of the tree alone where I'm lower, a ladder is not an option as i'm trying to isolate the tree which has a river on 1 side and buildings and major road on it's left

Quote Originally Posted by GB1 View Post
    The tree definitely works for me. It has a great shape that's mysterious and eerie. The tile of the ground doesn't work for me though, even if it's legitimate, as it makes me feel like things are sliding down the hill. I also don't think the left side rocks etc area well-lit enough to contribute to the photo; the image is about the tree. Do you have any closer shots of the tree? It's very neat.

G
    Thanks GB,
    sliding down the hill is exactly what's happening, down the hill into the river.
    I'm culling thru some images of the tree alone , of which i have plenty,
    but if I have some time I'll go and incorporate some of the pointers (the ones that go with what I'm trying to achieve) into new images

Thread Information