Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Travel pictures...do these work?

The first one: Alley Way - Taken with Yasica T4 Super with Velvia 100, scanned with Nikon 8000

The second one: Plaza - Taken with F100, 28mm Nikkor with Veliva 100, scanned with Nikon 8000, used warming filter in photoshop and dodged some of the sky to bring back the highlights.

My main question, do these work as travel pictures? I'm trying to develop a travel photography portfolio and wonder if these should be included. I did include them in the portfolio, but your honest opinion will determine if I should use other photographs.

http://www.photoserve.com/portfolio/crannell_loren

thank you for looking.
    Loren
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Travel pictures...do these work?-spain_0033_web.jpg   Travel pictures...do these work?-spain_0069_web.jpg  
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

I'd go with the first shot - really dramatic back lighting, good composition. Hard to tell here on the el-cheapo monitor at work but maybe there could be just a little more shadow detail. I know that Velvia 50 would probably not have it but Velvia 100F seems to be a little less contrasty. Great shot regardless.

The second shot is good as well, but having seen some of your work I don't know if this is portfolio material for you. It's a good shot, well composed, good light, etc and I'd be proud of it but just doesn't jump out at me like the first one.

Loren I always enjoy your post and respect your comments to other photopraphers, not being at your level of expertise I hesitate to comment here however..... The first shot is beautiful and I feel it could fit in any type of portfolio you wish to include it in. I love the backlighted effect and the silhouetted figures. The overall effect is one of mystery and would make me want to explore this location. IMHO this is a beautiful photograph. The second courtyard scene just does not say anything to me at all. Allthough you have beautifully framed the image with the V of the opposing buildings my eyes are not drawen to anything of interest. The figure and the chair in the foregound while creating a sense of depth don't seem to serve any real purpose in the image. As a travel shot I don't feel like this image would make me want to visit this place. This is only my observations and I hope that you will share more of your travel pictures to give us a better idea of what you are attempting to create.

Larry

My honest opinion is that these aren't up to the level of the best I've seen you post, and I think you want only your best in your portfolio. It's hard to define why I feel that way, but they don't arrest my attention in the way some of your other shots do.

Excellent critique...

Hi Larry,

Thank you very much for the critique and your thoughts about the pictures. After reading your critique, I think that you have some very good points. I will most likely pull the second shot and look for another shot. It's nice to have objective eyes and constructive viewpoints.

Thank you again,
    Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

Thank you for the comments

Yes, Velvia 100 is much more lenient on exposure and contrast which allow for better snapshots in such tricky situations like these. Thank you too for the comments on the pictures. Sometimes you get emotionally attached to some of the pictures and you don't know why.

thank you again,
    Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

I think that you are right...

Quote Originally Posted by Lava Lamp
    My honest opinion is that these aren't up to the level of the best I've seen you post, and I think you want only your best in your portfolio. It's hard to define why I feel that way, but they don't arrest my attention in the way some of your other shots do.
    Lava Lamp,

I actually like to have more comments like these so when I develop my portfolio I can feel confident about it. When it comes to travel it needs to have an immediate visual impact so this critique does help. I would rather have you say it now, so I can make proper adjustments.

Thank you Lava Lamp
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

Liz

Loren

First, let me say I always enjoy your photos.

I'm going to chime in here and add that the first one is dynamic IMO. I'm not a pro, either, so I hesitate to comment, but the first one really impressed me, especially the lighting.

The 2nd one looks more like a snapshot to me (no offense meant). I'm inclined to agree that I would choose something a little more striking .

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by racingpinarello
    The first one: Alley Way - Taken with Yasica T4 Super with Velvia 100, scanned with Nikon 8000

The second one: Plaza - Taken with F100, 28mm Nikkor with Veliva 100, scanned with Nikon 8000, used warming filter in photoshop and dodged some of the sky to bring back the highlights.

My main question, do these work as travel pictures? I'm trying to develop a travel photography portfolio and wonder if these should be included. I did include them in the portfolio, but your honest opinion will determine if I should use other photographs.

http://www.photoserve.com/portfolio/crannell_loren

thank you for looking.
    Loren

Liz took the words

right out of my mouth....the first has the impact that your other shots have(from the little I've seen)--- a flair that distinguishes them from say...the average photog.

the pic of the Argentinian dancing couple that's the flavorful and life filled photography that I see you having in your portfolio and a level that I can look to to try and emulate and achieve...

The first is a very striking shot...the second is nice for someone elses portfolio---

not yours
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Thanks Liz and Natalie

Quote Originally Posted by natatbeach
    right out of my mouth....the first has the impact that your other shots have(from the little I've seen)--- a flair that distinguishes them from say...the average photog.

the pic of the Argentinian dancing couple that's the flavorful and life filled photography that I see you having in your portfolio and a level that I can look to to try and emulate and achieve...

The first is a very striking shot...the second is nice for someone elses portfolio---

not yours
    I got some great feedback and learned a lot today. Thank you to everybody for the comments. It's definitely appreciated by me. I've already replaced the second picture from the portfolio!!

Thanks Liz, Thanks Nat and everybody else.

Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

Re: Travel pictures...do these work?

The second photo is really good. I love taking pictures while on vacations as well, but it's getting hard discovering interesting cities and countries to shoot.

Re: Travel pictures...do these work?

Have you been to Saint Petersburg already? Trust me, you'll shoot every building there. I thought that I'd just visit this country to check out the cuisine and stuff like that, but I was obsessed with the sights there. So I think you should get russian visa online and visit this country in order to get inspiration.

Thread Information