Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Train FlyBy

GB1

Train FlyBy

Was photographing a waiting train out at the Salton Sea last month when another train flew by (glad it was on the other side from where I was at!). Managed to snap three shots before it was past.

C&C welcome. Film was Kodachrome 64.

GB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Train FlyBy-salton-sea-feb-2007-20-px640-train-flyby-1.jpg   Train FlyBy-salton-sea-feb-2007-23-px640-train-flyby-2.jpg   Train FlyBy-salton-sea-feb-2007-22-px640-train-flyby-3.jpg  
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Re: Train FlyBy

I like #1 best. For some reason I like it being more centered. I like the way the boards leads to the opening on the other side. I feel it would have even been better straight on.
    Greg
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Interesting images and I would also agree that the first photograph wins, I like the colour and pattern created by the moving train most in the first image most but I think it is interesting to see them all together. The boards lead the eye very effectively, the angly doesn't bother me.

Interesting images indeed.

#2 is most appealing to me because of the angle, depth, texture and tones are a lot stronger than the 1st or the 3rd IMO.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

GB1

Thks. Looks like # 1 and # 2 are neck-and-neck. I personally like them both for different reasons, all of which you all have mentioned. # 3, looks like the train 'ended' in the middle of the exposure One potential negative here is that it might not be evident that it is a train? I guess if you thought about it, you would prob figure it out....

GB

My Site

Yes, it's between #1 and #2. I will go with #2 because I like the textures and colors of the fg elements and the motion of the moving train in the bg adds awhole extra dimension to the scene. #1 is also very good and I like it as well. I'm just more hooked on the 2nd. #3 is an awkward composition, with no real fg to pull us into the scene and the angle of the opening is too exagerated. Also, there is much dark area that I do not feel works to the advantage of this image.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Number two for me. I like the angle, I see the handle on the right and then am pulled into the car to look out the opposite side. Nice stuff.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

GB1

Thanks guys - so we have two more votes for # 2 ! Yes, I agree that # 3 is lacking. I also think it ignores the surroundings a little too much.

MJS, funny that you mention it but it does seem like a kids play area; the would probably grab the handle and swing up there (the would try anyway... might fall a few times and bruise themselves up). Pretty much right after I took this the train started moving.. I guess it was waiting for this other one to pass. Too bad, I wanted to swing up there myself and get a different perspective.

GB

My Site

Thread Information