Train FlyBy

Printable View

• 03-02-2007, 10:31 PM
    GB1
    3 Attachment(s)
    Train FlyBy
    Was photographing a waiting train out at the Salton Sea last month when another train flew by (glad it was on the other side from where I was at!). Managed to snap three shots before it was past. :eek:

C&C welcome. Film was Kodachrome 64.

GB
  • 03-02-2007, 10:42 PM
    Greg McCary
    Re: Train FlyBy
    I like #1 best. For some reason I like it being more centered. I like the way the boards leads to the opening on the other side. I feel it would have even been better straight on.
    Greg
  • 03-03-2007, 01:10 AM
    Herriot
    Interesting images and I would also agree that the first photograph wins, I like the colour and pattern created by the moving train most in the first image most but I think it is interesting to see them all together. The boards lead the eye very effectively, the angly doesn't bother me.
  • 03-03-2007, 03:38 AM
    LeeIs
    Interesting images indeed.

#2 is most appealing to me because of the angle, depth, texture and tones are a lot stronger than the 1st or the 3rd IMO.
  • 03-03-2007, 01:01 PM
    GB1
    Thks. Looks like # 1 and # 2 are neck-and-neck. I personally like them both for different reasons, all of which you all have mentioned. # 3, looks like the train 'ended' in the middle of the exposure :) One potential negative here is that it might not be evident that it is a train? I guess if you thought about it, you would prob figure it out....

GB
  • 03-03-2007, 01:51 PM
    gahspidy
    Yes, it's between #1 and #2. I will go with #2 because I like the textures and colors of the fg elements and the motion of the moving train in the bg adds awhole extra dimension to the scene. #1 is also very good and I like it as well. I'm just more hooked on the 2nd. #3 is an awkward composition, with no real fg to pull us into the scene and the angle of the opening is too exagerated. Also, there is much dark area that I do not feel works to the advantage of this image.
  • 03-03-2007, 06:40 PM
    MJS
    Number two for me. I like the angle, I see the handle on the right and then am pulled into the car to look out the opposite side. Nice stuff.
  • 03-04-2007, 09:59 PM
    GB1
    Thanks guys - so we have two more votes for # 2 ! Yes, I agree that # 3 is lacking. I also think it ignores the surroundings a little too much.

MJS, funny that you mention it but it does seem like a kids play area; the would probably grab the handle and swing up there (the would try anyway... might fall a few times and bruise themselves up). Pretty much right after I took this the train started moving.. I guess it was waiting for this other one to pass. Too bad, I wanted to swing up there myself and get a different perspective.

GB