Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Catherine

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Catherine

Been waiting since last year for snow to hit my favorite graveyard.
    I knew they's end up being b/w as there was no color to speak of anyway.
    Also decided I'd use my 50mm but think maybe f/1.8 is too wide in this case.
    What say you?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Catherine-2008-12-18_2607.jpg  
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Re: Catherine

This is good, nice contrast across the scene, I like the way the background fades off to black on top. Waiting for the snow was definitely the right thing to do, it adds to the mood. B&W was definitely the right choice here. I think the OOF areas are just right I didn't check the Exif but I like the selective focus you have here.
    Personal preference, but I would like to see a little more of the graveyard in the bokeh in the background, I don't know if a different angle would have accomplished this or not.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

Thankyou, EOS.
    A different angle would maybe bring more in but for this particular tombstone I did want the straight on to keep the lettering on the stone sharp. I could probably also accomplish this by using a smaller aperture though so if the snow stays around I'll keep your suggestion in mind and give it a try.
    Watch out as there will probably be several more snowy graveyard shots.
    Keep Shooting!

What an unusual tombstone...very interesting.

I hope I am not wearing you out with my many dumb questions...

What do you mean when you say:

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    ...Also decided I'd use my 50mm but think maybe f/1.8 is too wide in this case.
    What say you?

I know an f/1.8 would give a wide aperture opening, and therefore a shallow DOF, so are you asking if more than just the tombstone should be in focus??

Your editing is welcomed. A picture is worth...

All can look. Few will see. Less will know.

The Truth can be anything it will. I just want to know Truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Shebang
    What an unusual tombstone...very interesting.

I know an f/1.8 would give a wide aperture opening, and therefore a shallow DOF, so are you asking if more than just the tombstone should be in focus??

Shebang, he might mean that the 1.8 aperture lets in to much light, for a snow covered scene. im not sure, of course he can be the one to answer the question. but that was my thought

on a second note, great shot Frog. has a powerfull mood to it! the contrast seems great, my only thought would be to have the stone sharper? just a suggestion
    Canon EOS 30D | EF 70-200mm f/4L | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 50mm f/1.8 | Sigma 10-20mm f/4 EX | Strobist gear galore

Hey Frog,

I think the camera underexposed for the snow and hence why it's a bit grey. i've read that for snow shots that it's best to shoot at and EV of +0.7 or something like that. if u shot this in raw i think a slight boost of exposure would definitely help.

I would've liked if there was a bit of seperation between the tombstone and the pole that's directly behind it.

I also think that maybe the 1.8 is a bit too wide since some of the tombstone is soft also a smaller aperture would've put more of the tombstone in focus while still bluring the background. That's about it. Other than that i like it. I also like that little curve the snow makes under the stone.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

Hi Frog,

I really like the mood of this shot B&W is perfect!

Just a couple of things, just my personal opinion...
    1) I would have liked the stone a little sharper
    2) Maybe take one step to the right so that the tombstone just behind Catherine's is separated
    3) Is this taken on a slight slope? It bothers me a teeny bit that the horizon between the snow and the bushes as well as the writing doesn't appear quite horizontal? But this may just be the lines playing tricks on me It wouldn't be the first time!

I can really see why you like this place! I have the cemetory for the Danish Navy right across the street - you've inspired me to take a closer look - thanks I know they have some pretty old and interesting tombstones there - just no snow as yet!

Mette
    My Sony Alpha 700 and I have been joined by a Tamron 200-500mm

Kentucky Wildlife

Snow is tough, and I have never gotten results I like much, but then, it doesn't snow much around here. Have you ever tried flash-fill?
    I think you are right: a longer lens with a wider appature may have been better. The DOF is not very good anyway, and the muted background doesn't ad anything, so a tight shot on the headstone might work. You might also try squatting, or laying, in the snow for a more interesting angle. And you might try laying a fresh, red rose on the lower pile of snow. That would "say" something. Then color would work. Back when I was using Kodachrome 25 all the time, I would always try to ad something red to make the scene pop, and that might work in this case. If I did that, I would expose for the general scene and bracket and then expose for the rose and bracket.
    Last edited by Ron Kruger; 12-19-2008 at 07:07 AM.

Thankyou everyone! I like this stone and wonder why I've never paid attention tho this stone before when I take my camera up there.
    The reason I was using f/1.8 is that I did want shallow dof. I think in this case it is too shallow. Actually in some cases f/1.8 did let in too much light as it would still be overexposed at 1/4000 which is my fastest shutter speed. That was during a brief break in the clouds.
    I also would like some separation between the featured stone and the one behind it which I hoped the shallow dof would help but don't think it did now.. There are many fascinating stones here(see killed by explosion) and I'll be posting some more.
    The problem I have in this place is composition which does separate the stones from background stones. They're rather helter skelter in placement. If I took a step right then more stones on the left would come in. As soon as I saw the pic on my computer, I wondered why I hadn't gotten down lower for it as I had for some others. Came home with a wet butt to prove it.
    As for the gray snow, I'm not sure why as when I was doing the post process it was white but some things seem to post darker than they appear when I'm processing.
    Oh and as far as sharpness lacking, I'm not seeing it. The "catherine" is probably actually sharper than it appears in real life and the rest of the stone is also quite worn though less so than others of its age.
    Keep Shooting!

I can't help on lenses,but the more I look,the more things strike me.
    -Almost a face above the name.....a suggestion of shoulders where the stone slopes...

-Perfect snow wrap.

A lot more here than at first glance,methinks,looking forward to more !

" Got Soul, but I'm Not a Soldier "
    The Killers

“ Make no judgments where you have no compassion ”
    Anne McCaffrey

" If you wish to know what a man is, place him in authority.'
    Yugoslav Proverb

Hmmm? You're actually seeing more than I as I don't see any suggestion of a face.
    You don't mean the dove do you?
    Keep Shooting!

Kentucky Wildlife

Maybe it's my monitor, but the stone doesn't look sharp to me, either. I don't know the term, but I think it is because of the overwhelming light refraction from the white snow washing out the grey of the stone. That's why I though maybe flash-fill would help. Maybe not. I've never tried it. Just brainstorming.

If you mean the circle atop the stone,yes....maybe my eyes,
    ..after a busy day-far sighted,viewing from a distance !
    -but I find it an interesting shot,none the less.

The Killers

Anne McCaffrey

Yugoslav Proverb

Frog,

I like this one so much better than the explosion shot that you posted, this is more of what I would be looking to capture if I was going to shoot a cemetery myself. Another title of this could be "The First to Go", that is my feeling from it that Catherine was before the other two in the background.
    Chris Johnson
    Nikon Samurai # 30 chrisjohnsonpic.com
    Nikon D2Xs, Nikon D50, SB-800, AF Nikkor 80-200 D ED f2.8, AF Nikkor 50 D f1.8, AF Nikkor 18-55 G ED f5.6

oh yeah...i see the face i think....behind the stone...the trees...there are two dark almond shapes in the trees and the tall stone in the background splits them about where a nose would be...
    is that the face you were seeing???

Susan and Chappy, I'm finding it strange that you don't see the dove in the circle but then I saw as it was and maybe if I was seeing only the pic I wouldn't see it either. The beak is on the right, folded wings ??...do you see it?
    Chris, I know the 'explosion' one isn't so hot but was just seeking editing advice on it so when I reshoot it, I'll get both the composition and the editing right. If the snow holds anyway.
    Keep Shooting!

I see what Susaan sees -- that's why I said it was a very unusual stone.

I did not see the dove until you mentioned it which makes much more sense. The suggested face that I see in the stone is not very flattering. If I looked like that, I wouldn't want it immortalized in stone!

And I also see the face that Chappy sees.

My imagination often gets me into trouble.

Your editing is welcomed. A picture is worth...

All can look. Few will see. Less will know.

The Truth can be anything it will. I just want to know Truth.

photo gallery Mod. starriderrick's Avatar

Really Iike this one Frog.I would like your permission to modify this w / capture NX, post it here.i.e. sharpen this a bit the stone could really pop.Great find. Just my thoughts.

Rick

Go for it, Rick. Thanks for asking.
    Keep Shooting!

photo gallery Mod. starriderrick's Avatar

Here's my edit of your work.I'm not sure... I think I goofed up on the color cast. The stone is noticeably sharper though.

Thanks Frog!

Rick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Catherine-catherine-copyright-frog.jpg  

Now you have told me where to look,can see it...thanks....the face I thought I saw is just part of the shots' mystery and allure.

The Killers

Anne McCaffrey

Yugoslav Proverb

That is a lot sharper, Rick.
    I have a hard time with fine tuning sharpening, maybe because my eyes aren't what they used to be, so I just use the auto-sharpen thing mostly.
    I think your edit is sharper than it appears in real life.
    Keep Shooting!

Thread Information