Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

an impossible photo

constructed from two photos mounted and shot the same way. i think it would be stronger with a figure inside but what can i say, it was a quiet sunday and i needed something to try. did i pull off the construction well enough to look like a real shot?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails an impossible photo-knocker-700.jpg  

Seb

Re: an impossible photo

Quote Originally Posted by greg hxc
    constructed from two photos mounted and shot the same way. i think it would be stronger with a figure inside but what can i say, it was a quiet sunday and i needed something to try. did i pull off the construction well enough to look like a real shot?
    Hello Greg,

For what it's worth, I'd say that you did well. This picture doesn't look mounted to my relatively inexperienced eyes. It's simple and I frankly like how the light irradiate from the center. Just to know, did u had any particular reason to construct that image from two photos or was it a personal challenge/experimentation?

regards

Seb

No real reason! I just have that peephole in my front door which I found interesting, but obviously shooting in close enough to get that detail there was no way to focus on anything inside. I took two shots, both about 9-12 inches from the door, one focused on the peep hole and one focused on the far wall inside about 20 feet away.

I was curious as to whether I could create a shot that duplicates the tiny glimpse I get of my apartment I get before I unlock my door every day when I come home from work.

I lose most of this on my screen, but in print the door has great detail in the deep red wood and brass. I forever have problems with brightness versus monitors.

your back haven't seen any postings in a while (maybe I just need to wake up)

Had you not explained the set p I would have not noticed anything different...I like the peephole and intrusive quality(like looking into someone space that we shouldn't) I can see the wood grain of the door and the brass well on my monitor(probaly not as wellas you see it in print)

good concept and good execution
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Nice idea and done very well. I would only say that the brightness of the interior is not settling good with me for some reason. I would try just toning down the lightness of the "bottom layer" ? the interior and maybe try even desaturating it so that the colors of the door are more effective. As a side note, possibly even adding some vignetting to the outside areas of the frame would bring us in to the peephole. A good idea and done well.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    Nice idea and done very well. I would only say that the brightness of the interior is not settling good with me for some reason. I would try just toning down the lightness of the "bottom layer" ? the interior and maybe try even desaturating it so that the colors of the door are more effective. As a side note, possibly even adding some vignetting to the outside areas of the frame would bring us in to the peephole. A good idea and done well.
    Good ideas! I think rather than toning down the overwhelming brightness of the inside it would be interesting to shoot at a different time of day, say in the early evening. Then I could get more detail from the interior without blowing it out and still shoot in the dark hallway without an obvious exposure difference. I'll give it a shot this week.

Also, I'll try desaturating a bit and see what I can get from it!

Quote Originally Posted by natatbeach
    your back haven't seen any postings in a while (maybe I just need to wake up)

Had you not explained the set p I would have not noticed anything different...I like the peephole and intrusive quality(like looking into someone space that we shouldn't) I can see the wood grain of the door and the brass well on my monitor(probaly not as wellas you see it in print)

good concept and good execution
    That was exactly what I was going for! A shot that was technically impossible without looking unnatural to convey what my eyes see daily. And yes, this peep hole also makes me think twice before walking to my kithen in my underwear in the morning.

I have been away for awhile. I've started taking classes again for the first time in seven years and work has been crazy! My girlfriend has returned to art school though, so I've been feeling inspired to create something besides network diagrams and research papers. I've gotten much more comfortable with the technical side of photography, but I'm always struggling to spot interesting shots. I'll try to keep shooting and posting so I can get better!

Thread Information