Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Boats and Pier

GB1

Boats and Pier

Taken in December in San Diego. A bit much distortion on the side, I think.

G

Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Re: Boats and Pier

Yea, there is some distortion. What type of lens was this? Looks like an UW lens.

I love the angle of the shot though. I'd like to see what this looks like a little later in the afternoon/evening after sunset with a longer exposure. I bet it would look pretty cool. I'd revisit this spot...

That's funny, I have a real similar shot!

Nice shot, the far away building are not that sharp, maybe a bit more DOF ?

when shooting wide angle it is complicated to avoid the distortion on the sides, I find that If I keep the camera perpendicular to what I'm shooting distortion is minimal, but I I point the camera up or down , distortion gets exaggerated

Quote Originally Posted by armando_m View Post
    Nice shot, the far away building are not that sharp, maybe a bit more DOF ?

when shooting wide angle it is complicated to avoid the distortion on the sides, I find that If I keep the camera perpendicular to what I'm shooting distortion is minimal, but I I point the camera up or down , distortion gets exaggerated
    thanks for the tip

You have a lovely quality of light there. The distortion doesn't bother me too much. I am more bothered by the fact that the jetty doesn't really point anywhere - the eye is led down it, but the background interest is to the left. I like the green light though.

Cheers
    Mike
    Mike Dales ARPS
    My website: www.mikedalesphotography.co.uk

GB1

Thanks fellows.

Josh, it was the Nikon 24-70mm f2.8. One of the only criticisms of this lens is its fairly significant distortion at 24mm (it tends to drop off significantly as you increase the focal length). Here's another version which I ran through CS5's lens distortion filter. It's sharper too. Yeah, I need to get down there and try a few more shots, but I want to do it when the light's really amazing. That happens about once a month I think.

Matt, you've been there too? :lol: Hope you liked your shots.

Armando, actually, the entire image is soft, and sharpening it helped the foreground more than the background. This image is sharp but not quite as interesting. They were both taken at about the same exposure: f 7.1 and 1/5sec for the first post, f 7.1 and 1/4sec for latest. I seem to recall the entire dock moving, not sure if the wind was also blowing hard, which may have affected the distant buildings.

I will take your advice to heart! Some shots don't look bad with some distortion, and others you can't even notice it. But with geometric objects like buildings ... it's tough, you really need a non-distorting lens, which are hard to come by.

Mike - excellent point: the bridge to nowhere :skep: Not sure what the green light is, maybe a Green Flash (if you never heard of such a thing, look it up in Wikipedia.. but I've yet to see one here at the coast). I will consider that bridge issue next time.

Thanks again everyone for your observations. I tend to gravitate towards night shots.

G

Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.

My Site

Thread Information