Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

"Time and tide wait for no man"

A final Brighton shot. Maybe I'm getting old, but shots of kids playing make me feel whistful these days...

Thanks for looking:

matt

Re: "Time and tide wait for no man"

Hmm...not sure why my first post didn't show up here! This is what I said:
    This is another beautiful shot...again, I love the rocks, kids, water...but I'm not as sure about the angle in this one. Can I ask how it might look if you straighten it? Of course, that's just a personal preference thing for me!!!
    I like all three of your photos of the sea, but my fave is the flying one. This is a close second though!

Emily

Hi Julsoph, thanks for commenting, I'm glad you liked this.

I don't normally go for unusual angles unless I think a shot really needs it. In this case, although I liked the subject matter, it was essentially quite static. I couldn't see a way of framing the breakwater in a way that wouldn't look rather lifeless. The boy in the centre sitting down was at a useful angle though, if I tilted the camera he would look almost as if he was clinging onto the rocks trying not to slide off. The idea was to introduce a sense of movement where it might otherwise be missing - somthing I felt that was important in a shot which is about being young and exploring the world.

Because I took the shot at an angle, I couldn't straighten it now without a fairly massive crop, so I don't think I can explore other options, the die is cast and I'll have to live with the decision!

Many thanks for looking and taking the time to share your thoughts

matt

I did notice that about the boy on the rock, and you would definitely lose that if the shot were straighter.

DJM

Wow nice image! I love the angle. I think its fantastic when artists take advantage of techniques like "tilting" It brings so much more to an image. The only thing that bothers me is the washout spots in the image. Perhaps a bit of burning might be the answer. Good job!

Thread Information