1 Attachment(s)
    Time&Tide
    A beach has a host of possibilities for photos
  • 10-01-2011, 08:09 AM
    armando_m
    Re: Time&Tide
    Wonderful textures

What is it ?

Can tell if it is water flowing around the object or if it is just how the sand look after the water drained
  • 10-01-2011, 02:11 PM
    jetrim
    love all the different textures in this and the cyanotype processing gives it an other-worldly feel
  • 10-01-2011, 02:52 PM
    Greg McCary
    If it is sharp in large print it as it is here it would make a good one. Nice shot.
  • 10-01-2011, 09:06 PM
    sirknow
    shiny sand very nice, sparks
    well done cyanotype
  • 10-02-2011, 12:59 AM
    hminx
    Thanks armando, it is a shellfish known here as a Pipi (pronounced pippy) the water is receding in this shot and the pipi is partially submerged I got a bit wet getting this one.
    Thanks Jim, the colours were nice but not spectacular so I decided to go with the textures and hence the B&W.
    Hadn't occured to me to print Greg , appreciate the thought.
    Thanks sirknow
  • 10-02-2011, 01:19 AM
    AgingEyes
    Nice, Pete ! I didn't see it as a black & white though :D:D
  • 10-03-2011, 08:55 AM
    gahspidy
    Nice one, Pete! I like the textures and at the same time there is a pleasing softness from the flow of the receding water. great placement of the shell in the frame.

If its b&w, its a tinted b&w and looks more like a cyanotype as Jim mentioned.

Nice work
  • 10-03-2011, 10:06 AM
    hminx
    Thanks AE and Gary, there is as observed a blueish tint applied after the conversion, the straight b&w looked a bit stark in this case. Pushing the blue slider almost hard to the right bought out the water texture a lot more.
    Btw thanks for the heads up on the cyanotype thing I'd never heard of it till you guys mentioned it, a fascinating process.
  • 10-03-2011, 11:36 AM
    armando_m
    Congrats on the sticky !
  • 10-05-2011, 08:14 AM
    Herriot
    Stunning! Love the textures and the sense of motion captured here.
  • 10-05-2011, 09:46 AM
    hminx
    Appreciate the thoughts Armando and Herriot.
  • 10-05-2011, 01:41 PM
    Adamo
    Fantastic shot. I am very new to photography and love B&W shots. How did you achieve the textures
  • 10-06-2011, 12:43 AM
    hminx
    Thanks Adamo, you said you are new to photography so I am a bit unsure of your post processing skills but if it helps I'll try to explain what I did. With this one I put a normal layer over a tone mapped layer and set opacity to about 20% then burnt any hot spots. This bought out the sand texture, then I masked the pipi so only the tone mapped version was visible. After converting to b&w I pushed the blue slider hard right this enhanced the water texture , and added a bluish tint. Hope this makes sense
  • 10-06-2011, 07:04 AM
    Adamo
    Thank you. I have had my camera about a year, but only recently realized I needed to add Photoshop. All this time, I thought people were capturing these great images without post production editing. (naïve no) I am learning about layers, but it is proving more difficult than learning the camera. Thank you for your technique on this, it gives me things to play with. I posted a picture on this forum, please let me know what you think.