Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Garden shots

Question Garden shots

Had my camera for a week and have been playing around in the garden taking a few shots, these were the ones I prefer.... Was hard trying to get the spiders in focus on the web with the wind blowing!
    Totaly unedited, feel free to edit and critique, any comments welcome
    Thank you for taking time to look/comment!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Garden shots-img_0827.jpg   Garden shots-img_0935.jpg   Garden shots-img_0992.jpg  

Re: Garden shots

I love your second shot here. The focus elements give the effect of 'I'm so close I'm only seeing this out of my left eye' - I could definitely stare at that one for a few minutes... Thanks for sharing!

I will comment on the first one. With shots like these it is important to get the subject in good focus. I think, in general, you succeeded there. It would be even better if you can shoot the spider with its eyes visible, as this would potentially create a more dramatic shot. I also like that the spider is not in the center, but a little more up and to the side. The white line going through the background is a little distracting - try to take a shot without it. Also, it would be nice if the web was more visible - since it is whitish in color, selecting a darker background may reveal more of the web.

NSB,FL now live in Benton,TN, United States

I love the second shot! but am wondering if it would benefit with a tighter crop?
    I like the angle of the 3rd shot but wish the spiders head was visible more
    I have to agree that the 1st shot would look good on a darker background!
    When you photograph people in color you photograph their clothes. But when you photograph people in B&W,
    you photograph their souls! ~Ted Grant

MuskratPhotography.org My website

Find me on Facebook

Check out the Blog

I like the bokeh in the first image. I wish the spider was larger and more in focus, but like you mentioned, it is tough to get a sharp macro image outside. Did you use a tripod? The second image is my favorite but I find the bottom right corner a little distracting. Thanks for sharing

Thread Information