Tight motorcycle shot

Printable View

• 10-04-2004, 02:27 PM
    MotionBoy
    Tight motorcycle shot
    I am curious what you guys thing about this shot. I went to a motorcycle race this weekend and could hardly take my finger off the shutter. It was an awesome time. I shot several different styles of shot, all different angles and I am happy with all of them. I also shot a few that were really tight, cutting off the front, or back or both the front and back. Anyhow I would love to hear what you guys thing about this one.

http://www.cameracourage.com/Images/.../155corner.jpg

I like the texture in the leathers I like that his leathers say "Crash." I kinda wish my shutter was a little slower, I think this was 1/500, if I brought it down to about 1/320 or so I think the ground would be moving more...
    Anyhow your thoughts are appreciated.
  • 10-04-2004, 03:05 PM
    mtbbrian
    A little too tight..
    I like where you are going with this Josh, but I think it is a little too tight on the front end.
    I think it might be better if you could see the controls of the bike more.
    It is a fine image. I just think it could use a little more information.

I thought about you this weekend.
    I was coming home from a ride, when I passed some Auto Cross racing at a local arena parking lot.
    Now I want to shoot some Auto Cross!
    Brian
  • 10-04-2004, 03:15 PM
    MotionBoy
    Re: A little too tight..
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    I like where you are going with this Josh, but I think it is a little too tight on the front end.
    I think it might be better if you could see the controls of the bike more.
    It is a fine image. I just think it could use a little more information.

I thought about you this weekend.
    I was coming home from a ride, when I passed some Auto Cross racing at a local areana parking lot.
    Now I want to shoot some Auto Cross!
    Brian

Ahh, yeah, I see what you are saying.. Hmmm, I guess I will have to go to another race and try again. I want to get a shot that is just the front of the bike with the riders head too.. It is pretty tough to shoot these bikes. I am used to the human propelled bikes and they sure as hell don't go 160+mph! Thanks!

OH! I am going to another autocross race this saturday. You should go to one, they are pretty fun! and they like to buy pictures :)
  • 10-04-2004, 03:19 PM
    MattyBoyR6
    Re: Tight motorcycle shot
    Personaly I would say it is too tight. Cutting off the tail a little seems to be ok (from the shots I got this last weekend) but without the front it looks odd. Also I like a little more room at the bottom to see the road. It is hard to do a motorcycle shot different from the next guy. But perhaps if you went in even tighter and only showed the "CRASH" and the helmet.

I shot a few at 1/320 as well as 1/1000 and the 320 gave more motion blur but you could still make out the tread pattern. I was told by one of the regular track photog's that the crisper faster shutter pictures sell better to the riders.
  • 10-04-2004, 03:35 PM
    MotionBoy
    Re: Tight motorcycle shot
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MattyBoyR6
    I shot a few at 1/320 as well as 1/1000 and the 320 gave more motion blur but you could still make out the tread pattern. I was told by one of the regular track photog's that the crisper faster shutter pictures sell better to the riders.

Really? My experience has been a bit different. I have people asking more about shots like this
    http://www.cameracourage.com/Images/...WhiteHonda.jpg

They want the image to be sharp but if it makes them look fast then bonus :)
  • 10-04-2004, 03:45 PM
    mtbbrian
    I can see that...
    It's all about going fast, isn't it..
    No matter how many wheels, engine or not.
    Make me look fast Mr Photographer!

Brian
  • 10-04-2004, 03:51 PM
    MotionBoy
    Re: I can see that...
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    It's all about going fast, isn't it..
    No matter how many wheels, engine or not.
    Make me look fast Mr Photographer!

Brian

Brian, brian, brian...I am a photographer...not a magician!! :p