Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Prague, 1998

ner

Prague, 1998

4x5 AgfaPan 100 in PMK on Oriental Seagull in Ansco 135 with normal Se toning. Copyright N. Riley, 1998. http://normanrileyphotography.com/

Superb.

It's shots like this that make me question every going digital. Maybe I should sell all my expensive 35mm equipment and move to 4x5?

D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

Quote Originally Posted by ner

4x5 AgfaPan 100 in PMK on Oriental Seagull in Ansco 135 with normal Se toning. Copyright N. Riley, 1998. http://normanrileyphotography.com/
    Beautiful image. You are really opening some eyes here with your wonderful photographs.

ner
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer
    Beautiful image. You are really opening some eyes here with your wonderful photographs.
    Thank for that great compliment.
    Norm

ner
    Quote Originally Posted by PuckJunkey
    It's shots like this that make me question every going digital. Maybe I should sell all my expensive 35mm equipment and move to 4x5?
    Interesting question. I've seen some truly amazing digital shots, but there's just something about laboring in the darkroom to pull a fine print that I find too addictive to give up. I do think that proofing negatives on the computer makes more sense than proofing in the darkroom (and it certainly is cheaper). I am afraid the day will come when traditional film and paper are unobtainable: it does seem that the options for the traditional worker are disappeaing and that more and more people are going the digitial route. I have to confess that I've never seen a digital print. I wonder how they compare to silver gelatin prints in terms of their appearance, permanance, etc. etc. If the digital end result (i.e., the fine print) compares favorably in every respect, I might be tempted to try it when regular film and paper are no longer available, or I become to frail to haul around the 8x10 and/or 4x5. I can't believe I just said that.

Great!

I'm really enjoying your posts. Your work is a nice addition to this mostly color forum. It's also nice to see some large format work. Please post reviews for your large format gear and let me know if there's stuff you'd like me add to the reviews.

I love the location and tonal qualities of this photo. The textures and gray range are awesome. It makes me want to reach out and touch those walls. However, I wonder if a tighter, vertical or square crop might make it stronger. I think the sliver of door on the left side is a distraction. And there's an awful lot of empty wall on the right side.It seems to me that the slot of street in the background is the real subject here and the closer walls serve as a frame. You certainly have enough film to crop, if you want to. I know some people - especially larger format photographers - don't like to crop at all. But I think it's worth considering here. Try is and see what you think.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

ner
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I'm really enjoying your posts. Your work is a nice addition to this mostly color forum. It's also nice to see some large format work. Please post reviews for your large format gear and let me know if there's stuff you'd like me add to the reviews.

I love the location and tonal qualities of this photo. The textures and gray range are awesome. It makes me want to reach out and touch those walls. However, I wonder if a tighter, vertical or square crop might make it stronger. I think the sliver of door on the left side is a distraction. And there's an awful lot of empty wall on the right side.It seems to me that the slot of street in the background is the real subject here and the closer walls serve as a frame. You certainly have enough film to crop, if you want to. I know some people - especially larger format photographers - don't like to crop at all. But I think it's worth considering here. Try is and see what you think.

I'm afraid I don't understand what you're aksing for when you request that I post reviews of the gear. Are you asking me to list out the cameras, lenses, films, etc.that I use, or do you have something else in mind? I'm sure other people must know exactly what you're talking about but I honestly do not. Please clarify this for me if you don't mind. Thanks.
    Also, I do appreciate your comments and suggestions regarding the technical and artistic merits of the photo in question. As a general rule, I do not crop, and I am sure that composing in a square would be a real challenge for me. Somehow, it seems unnatural ... but I'm sure that is due to the fact that I've worked in 4x5 and 8x10 for so long.
    Last edited by ner; 03-12-2004 at 06:13 PM.

Thread Information