Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    Opinionated Newbie

Nubble Light. York, Maine USA

I was hoping that the storms down in the southern part of the U.S. would provide some dramatic tides as it moved up towards us on the east coast. We headed out to the Nubble Light in York, ME (a 20 minute drive from my house). No dramatic waves, lotso people from far away (tourists go home!!!), but beautiful nonetheless. Here are 4 photo's for your input. Slam me or compliment me -- it matters not! I am returning to photopgraphy after a long layoff and would love some help at getting better.

Sorry if the size is large, but I try to display my web images at 600px wide.

Reflection

The Rich Tourists From NY, CT, and MA love this sort of thing

The boys playing

My oldest is a little blurry, but that may be from movement. I just liked this image for some reason.

Opinionated Newbie

And one last photo

I caught this as I was just leaving. The lighthouse is actually right behind me at this point. I turned around and the sky was beginning to develop into a beautiful pink glow.

learning member
    Hello Todd
    Nice to see you are back in photographing !

I like the one with the reflection the most . It is a very beautiful photo .I think you have crop it also nicely .
    The one with the children playing is also a very nice one . I would like to have seen perhaps just a little more of their faces .
    The other two are also very good , but the first two i mentioned kept my attention .

Great work !

regards
    james

Opinionated Newbie
    jcharris -- thanks for the feedback. The comments are very helpful.

OK, since it's slow here and there's not a lot of feedback going on, here's what I think of my own images.

The Sunset: I must go out and purchase myself a Graduated ND filter this week. This sunset is a perfect example of why. The foreground is too dark. There are some scenes where a completely silouetted foreground is nice, but this is not one of them. I'd like to see more detail in the water and the hotel/or mansion on the cove.

Reflection Overall I like this one. I would like to bring out more green in the grass, but it's acceptable. The color is a little flat due to the overcast skies, but some correction helped.

The Tourist Photo I'm going to play with this one. I think it may look good with a very reduced saturation level. Making it almost pastel-ish. I love having a photolab on my computer!

The Boys I like to capture my boys just doing their thing -- particularly when it's different things. Having my oldest jump and my youngest studies the puddle sums up the curent stage in their lives. Once again, the jump seems a little out of focus. However, that may be because of the motion with a low shutter speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Patten
    Having my oldest jump and my youngest studies the puddle sums up the curent stage in their lives.
    That's probably why you like this shot so much. Don't get me wrong, it's well done - you've seen Adina's shots, reminds me of her work in that perspective.

All have show the light in the lighthouse, which IMO is a good thing. I do like the reflection shot compositionally the best, and wouldn't worry about bringing more green out - not much anyway. Maybe a little looser crop vertically though.

Boy, you just can't always be in all the best places at once, but I would have liked to have seen the boys shot from an angle where you're standing more to the left. Just get the lighthouse out of the center of the shot, and put the boys heads against the ocean, where it's less "busy". I think the image is strong now but would have been made much stronger by positioning the elements differently. It's pretty obvious that you've gotten down to the boys' level, which is great. I think this situation had a lot of potential, and you moving around a bit more would have taken full advantage of it.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Intermediate member bobbythebandit's Avatar

Love the second

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Patten
    I caught this as I was just leaving. The lighthouse is actually right behind me at this point. I turned around and the sky was beginning to develop into a beautiful pink glow.

The best but the poles were distracting me so removed them. Hope you dont mind, great series.
    Bobby
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nubble Light. York, Maine USA-nubble3.jpg  

Thread Information