Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: The Thing no.2

Seb

The Thing no.2

Hello, given the mixed reviews on my first attempt and my own dissatisfaction toward it I started from scratch with a different frame that was composed and exposed differently.

Comments are welcome!

Seb
    Last edited by Seb; 04-08-2010 at 10:46 PM.

Re: The Thing no.2

This I really like. I like the light from the top left corner coming down. It sort of looks like a REALLY old school metal detector or something lol.

Yep!! It's not that the other one wasn't a great shot, but the spirit in this one is far more in keeping with the subject. Was that partially broken brick wall in the first shot? If it was I missed it, and this is just a great part of this image!!
    Dee
    www.amomentisforever.com

I'm leaving my husband for my D3X! I'm in love!!!

Please, feel free to edit the images I submit for critique. I'm a visual kind of gal!

Quote Originally Posted by Seb
    Hello, given the mixed reviews on my first attempt and my own dissatisfaction toward it I started from scratch with a different frame that was composed and exposed differently.

Comments are welcome!

Seb
    I Liked both but the first one I liked the best.

GRF

something i didn't notice before in this shot but do now (i think because the skylight doesn't take my attention away now), is the ragged edge of the brick wall on the right. i also like how this crop shows the highlights of the roof supports.

this picture makes me want to crawl in and explore all its interesting nooks and crannies.

at first, i thought i'd like a tad bit more exposure to the left, but ... i'm not sure that wouldn't ruin my feeling of wanting to explore in there. it might be just that dark spot that's evoking the sense of curiosity in me.

Seb,

This is much better for me - this gives the feeling of dilapidation that I thought was missing in the first. You can almost feel the presence of the workers who used to work here in this shot.

The way the light plays on the roof struts is exposed perfectly and adds to the spookyness.

The only critique and it is a nit pick - I'm not sure the black border does the photo justice. For me borderless is better.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Hi Seb,

This version holds my attention considerbly more. As others have stated, the jagged line of bricks on the right really help with your theme. What is that left over "thing".

Good job,
    Tim

p.s. I think they burned stuff in there.
    Samurai #17 |;^\

Seb, this version is much better than the first. This image brings me into the picture and gives a sense of weirdness in this odd, but inviting structure. The exposure is right for me, the jagged broken wall is interesting, and the horizontal framing seems to be a better fit for this subject. Well done
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Seb

Thank you all for your support! I am glad I could turn this subject into a photograph I am really satisfied with. Your critiques have been most useful.

Seb

Thread Information