The Thing no.2

Printable View

• 02-06-2006, 03:31 PM
    Seb
    The Thing no.2
    Hello, given the mixed reviews on my first attempt and my own dissatisfaction toward it I started from scratch with a different frame that was composed and exposed differently.

Comments are welcome!

Seb
  • 02-06-2006, 03:55 PM
    xsport652
    Re: The Thing no.2
    This I really like. I like the light from the top left corner coming down. It sort of looks like a REALLY old school metal detector or something lol.
  • 02-06-2006, 07:06 PM
    dbutler
    Yep!! It's not that the other one wasn't a great shot, but the spirit in this one is far more in keeping with the subject. Was that partially broken brick wall in the first shot? If it was I missed it, and this is just a great part of this image!!
  • 02-06-2006, 08:37 PM
    freygr
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Seb
    Hello, given the mixed reviews on my first attempt and my own dissatisfaction toward it I started from scratch with a different frame that was composed and exposed differently.

Comments are welcome!

Seb

I Liked both but the first one I liked the best.

GRF
  • 02-06-2006, 11:19 PM
    dmizer
    something i didn't notice before in this shot but do now (i think because the skylight doesn't take my attention away now), is the ragged edge of the brick wall on the right. i also like how this crop shows the highlights of the roof supports.

this picture makes me want to crawl in and explore all its interesting nooks and crannies.

at first, i thought i'd like a tad bit more exposure to the left, but ... i'm not sure that wouldn't ruin my feeling of wanting to explore in there. it might be just that dark spot that's evoking the sense of curiosity in me.
  • 02-07-2006, 02:35 AM
    readingr
    Seb,

This is much better for me - this gives the feeling of dilapidation that I thought was missing in the first. You can almost feel the presence of the workers who used to work here in this shot.

The way the light plays on the roof struts is exposed perfectly and adds to the spookyness.

The only critique and it is a nit pick - I'm not sure the black border does the photo justice. For me borderless is better.

Roger
  • 02-07-2006, 07:05 AM
    OldSchool
    Hi Seb,

This version holds my attention considerbly more. As others have stated, the jagged line of bricks on the right really help with your theme. What is that left over "thing".

Good job,
    Tim

p.s. I think they burned stuff in there.
  • 02-07-2006, 01:42 PM
    gahspidy
    Seb, this version is much better than the first. This image brings me into the picture and gives a sense of weirdness in this odd, but inviting structure. The exposure is right for me, the jagged broken wall is interesting, and the horizontal framing seems to be a better fit for this subject. Well done
  • 02-08-2006, 06:32 PM
    Seb
    Thank you all for your support! I am glad I could turn this subject into a photograph I am really satisfied with. Your critiques have been most useful.

Seb