Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    Seb

Outside the brickworks no.6

Comments are welcome!

Seb
    Last edited by Seb; 04-08-2010 at 10:46 PM.

Re: Outside the brickworks no.6

Ilike this kind of work and i try for it so much. Looking at this makes me wonder about the men and the work that went on in this place.Can almost hear the shouting and cursing that went on there.
    Bobby
    Roberto

i like the history in that wall. i see 4 distinct build lines in the colors of the brick. also the old window that's been filled in, and replaced with a much smaller window. holes cut in it for pipes to run through ... this wall has outlived it's usefulness many times over but still keeps going on. maybe no one told it that it needed to be torn down?

i'm not so fond of the red steel beam on the left. it's bigger at the top than at the bottom, so the line makes the left side of the photo feel off balance. but i need the beam, because without it, i'm just looking at a brick wall. an interesting wall, but it's still just a wall.

i'd suggest you extend the shot more to the left ... adding more brick, but then that would put the window in the center of the shot and that's no good. and i like the pipe sticking out of the wall in the upper right.

i'm kinda stumped as to what to suggest from there.

but all the different brickwork in that wall ... i agree with robert about being able to hear the bricklayers swearing.

Seb-------don't change a thing. I can smell that wall. I can taste that wall. I can feel that wall. Your fixation with things abandoned is catching. Can't wait to do some investigating, myself.

John

Seb, another good subject and catch. I am not particuliarly fond of the steel beam in this composition and feel that with it cropped out, the focus on the wall and the single opening is stronger in a "less is more" sort of way.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Seb

You guys got me confused with your mixed comments on the beam lol...
    Seriously, I see what you mean. Coming back at this shot after few days, I realize that the left side is quite "heavy" but I doubt I can afford to crop the beam out ...

Anyway, it turns out that this one print very badly. The noise (it was shot hand held at iso 1600) become a serious issue when sharpening for printing. It looks like I'll have to discard that picture because of this.

regards

Seb

Thread Information