• 02-21-2004, 08:29 AM
    natatbeach
    1 Attachment(s)
    Textures at the beach---the last is a bit graphic
    I struggled whether to post the last shot or not because I didn't want to gross out or offend anyone...but from a textural point of view I just REALLY liked it (saddened that the poor duck had come to such a sad state of affairs) but it was a photo op...I never understood why "freaks" would take pics of dead things---but for a moment I guess I understood...IF THIS OFFENDS ANYONE PLeeeaaase let me know and I will remove the post.

the rest are just textural shots (IMO) of rocks, landscapes, lobster traps and shells...fell free to be brutally honest...

Thank you in advance

all of these were shot in BW mode at about f/2.8-8.3, at 1/4 to 1/30, I can't remeber the rest...some are soft because they are hand held most were timer and propped on a rock...Post editing--Photoshop: dodging burning, contrast and unsharp mask, and curves...
  • 02-21-2004, 08:32 AM
    natatbeach
    1 Attachment(s)
    Rocks and trees
  • 02-21-2004, 08:52 AM
    natatbeach
    1 Attachment(s)
    shell in a shell
  • 02-21-2004, 08:54 AM
    natatbeach
    1 Attachment(s)
    warning: Graphic shot
    poor dead duck
  • 02-21-2004, 08:55 AM
    natatbeach
    1 Attachment(s)
    lobster trap
  • 02-21-2004, 10:55 AM
    paulnj
    EVERYONE sees carion on the side of the road in worse shape than that! all you did was document the end of it's life, while most document the beginning and middle of said life!

"I never understood why "freaks" would take pics of dead things---"

calling me a freak? or are you calling the local news freaks? ;)

the news is more disheartening that a decaying bird on the beach!!

btw... nice dead bird... your a necrotographer now, welcome to the club!
  • 02-21-2004, 11:31 AM
    PuckJunkey
    Really Unique Collection...
    ...my favorites are the "Rock and Trees" and the "Shell in a Shell". With the former I might considfer reframing the image to make the trees a little more prominent. They just seem a bit too far away / almost (but not quite) incidental. Otherwise they're all very well composed and shot. The duck doesn't bother me... it almost has a "fossil-like" look the way its feathers are stretched into the sand / debris.
  • 02-24-2004, 08:08 AM
    natatbeach
    thnaks I never thought of it that way
    Paul
    I guess a pic of a person in abody bag SHOULD be more impactful than a dead bird...scary to think that it doesn't really affect us because w are becoming more and more accustomed to violence and death around us...hmmm

thnaks for taking time out from your crazy schedule friend :D
  • 02-24-2004, 08:10 AM
    natatbeach
    fossil like
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PuckJunkey
    ...my favorites are the "Rock and Trees" and the "Shell in a Shell". With the former I might considfer reframing the image to make the trees a little more prominent. They just seem a bit too far away / almost (but not quite) incidental. Otherwise they're all very well composed and shot. The duck doesn't bother me... it almost has a "fossil-like" look the way its feathers are stretched into the sand / debris.

that's kind of the thought that went thru my head...glad to see I wasn't so far off...

glad you liked this series...I shot almost 20- 30 frames of the trees...that section of the beach is my favorite section to go to in different seasons...something about the rocks and the trees...

thanks for commenting
  • 02-24-2004, 08:31 AM
    paulnj
    Quote:

Originally Posted by natatbeach
    I guess a pic of a person in abody bag SHOULD be more impactful than a dead bird...scary to think that it doesn't really affect us because w are becoming more and more accustomed to violence and death around us...hmmm

thnaks for taking time out from your crazy schedule friend :D

what you want me to post images of people in a body bag.... hold on
    .................................................. ............. on an autopsy table....... one sec please
    .................................................. ............. who were murdered.... let me find them
    .................................................. ............. who died in "accidents".... i'll start digging though my slides

no posting of that nature from me!!!!! but , i can supply such subject matter

i prefer "nature" as my subject matter, but can and WILL shoot ANYTHING within the confines of the law... and maybe even if the law needed to be slightly bent to obtain it??

my cooment about the news was much deeper than a few bodybags...... the news is quite depressing if you take notes as to the subject matter and review a few weeks nates at a time! death, murder, kidnapping, dog bite, 6 car pile up, lottery winner, snow storm, soldiers wounded, more soldiers to cuba(friend's son is one), anthrax, no heat in sub zero, BUSH,........
  • 02-24-2004, 08:39 AM
    stew
    like the duck
    call me morbid, but i like the dead duck :) great shots all around! i'm becoming more and more a fan of b&w!!
  • 02-24-2004, 09:19 AM
    mtbbrian
    Good stuff!
    I am glad that b&w is still being thought of!
    YOU GO NAT!
    I would sure like to see this images in person rather than the computer.
    I just don't think that the computer does b&w the justice it needs!
    I especially like the shell and rocks and trees photographs Nat.
    They are simple and effective compositions!
    Brian