Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Temple Child

Insert something witty here.. yogestee's Avatar

Temple Child

I have posted the fullsize version of this image before..I thought I'd post a severly cropped version...Strong window light from the left,,no reflector or fill flash made controlling contrast difficult..Shot in Luang Prabang Northern Highlands Laos..

Canon350D/Sigma 18-200
    60th@f5.6
    400ISO

Jurgen
    Australia
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Temple Child-templechildbw.jpg  
    Falang dung nyai

Please don't edit my images without my permission.

Re: Temple Child

Nice portrait, very dramatic. There is some noticeable noise which keeps it from being sharp.

Hi Don,,,I wouldn't call it noise as much as pixellation...This image has been severely cropped possibly less than 30% of the full image..

Jurgen
    Australia
    Last edited by yogestee; 05-24-2006 at 10:41 PM.
    Falang dung nyai

Here is the full image..

Jurgen
    Australia
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Temple Child-img_6979.jpg  
    Falang dung nyai

Jurgen...I hadn't seen this before whenever you posted it...but although I like the cropped version, I think the full one is waaaaaaay stronger. I love the expression on her face, and the lighting. I also really like it in color, although I'd like to see the full version in b&w...just to compare.
    The title is misleading though...unless what she has in her hands is something related to religion, and I just don't realize. I wouldn't have guessed that she was in a temple from the shot. It doesn't change what I like about the shot itself...you could title it "Untitled" and I'd still like it. There's just no connection to a temple for me.

Emily

A very strong image. Love the uncropped one more. Thought you could still crop out the window and some of the bottom to keep it in proportion. I moved my browser window around to see what the crop would look like and the absence of the windo really does wonders to this shot.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

hmm

i liked the cropped one best - i loved the way the distortion in the image gave it the aged feel a good example of limits in the technology being used to artistic ends. very haunting.

Quote Originally Posted by julsoph
    Jurgen...I hadn't seen this before whenever you posted it...but although I like the cropped version, I think the full one is waaaaaaay stronger. I love the expression on her face, and the lighting. I also really like it in color, although I'd like to see the full version in b&w...just to compare.
    The title is misleading though...unless what she has in her hands is something related to religion, and I just don't realize. I wouldn't have guessed that she was in a temple from the shot. It doesn't change what I like about the shot itself...you could title it "Untitled" and I'd still like it. There's just no connection to a temple for me.

Emily
    Hi Emily,,,,the story behind Temple Child...We had been hiking through the forest for nearly an hour when we came upon a village in the mountains..Every village has a temple (Buddhist)..The children led us up a long climb to the temple..Inside was this young girl selling floral tributes (for around a few cents each) for the Buddha..We bought some,,lit incense,,placed the tributes before the Buddha and chilled out for a few minutes..I would imagine when we left this girl would collect the tributes and resell them..

This was a grab shot..The girl was standing before the window..I liked the way the sun streamed through..It was very dark inside..

Jurgen
    Australia
    Falang dung nyai

Quote Originally Posted by Don Schaeffer
    Nice portrait, very dramatic. There is some noticeable noise which keeps it from being sharp.
    Remember the good old bw film days when you would buy ISO3200 film and shoot it at 1600 and the lab would charge you extra to push the film at a different ISO???

Well, those shots ended up with noticiable and acceptable levels of grain. Most of us knew what the grain actually was and we liked it anyway.....since it added a little something to the photo.

I'm waiting for the day NOISE becomes fashionable....it will happen.

This shot is nice and the noise has the same dramatic effect that film (emultion) grain use to give me in film bw.

I still like the coler version better. Children always seem more like children with color. If that makes any sense.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

[QUOTE=manacsa]
    [QUOTE]

Dream on! Noise is a temporary technical difficulty with the chip technology but innovative changes are being experimented with by the major companies and research networks.

Ronnoco

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnoco

Dream on! Noise is a temporary technical difficulty with the chip technology but innovative changes are being experimented with by the major companies and research networks.

Ronnoco
    How much in Canadian dollars do you want to bet that noise will be the next fashionable grain???

Grain was a technical difficulty as well.....AND "major companies and research networks" tried to get rid of it....but GRAIN was still cool!!
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Getting back to the matter at hand, the full image wins my vote, lovely compostion, no need to crop in my opinion.

Herriot

Quote Originally Posted by manacsa
    How much in Canadian dollars do you want to bet that noise will be the next fashionable grain???

Grain was a technical difficulty as well.....AND "major companies and research networks" tried to get rid of it....but GRAIN was still cool!!
    This could be a good subject for debate...Grain/noise is subjective...Depending on the image and subject matter it can enhance or ruin an image..
    Some years ago I was shooting dress rehearsals for a theatre company..I used Kodak TriX pushed two stops to 1600ISO shooting available light...The results were grainy,punchy and contrasty..This was also due to the stage lighting which isn't particular good for photography..I printed up a heap of 10 X 8s and boy did they go out the door,,,everyone loved them..What I'm saying is that grain in this situation actually enhanced the photographs..
    Here is my way of thinking,,,,I would rather bump up the ISO setting to get a sharp image than shoot at a lower ISO setting and get a soft out of whack image...Noise in Digital photography is easier to control than trying to save an image that is out of whack because the photographer believed less noise in the image will make a better image..

Jurgen
    Australia
    Falang dung nyai

[QUOTE=Ronnoco][QUOTE=manacsa]

Ronnoco
    Ronnoco,,,,you should get your head out of your text books and try some real photography!!!

Jurgen
    Australia
    Falang dung nyai

Thread Information