Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Technique check... waterfalls

I could have likely used a +2 ND filter to further blur the water. Appreciate any thoughts about these, as I will be taking a trip soon, and waterfalls are likely to be a subject again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Technique check... waterfalls-pict0703.jpg   Technique check... waterfalls-pict0706.jpg  

Re: Technique check... waterfalls

Payn

for me you have just the right balance between smooth and the rough and tumble nature gave waterfalls. However, there is a tendancy for people to blur the water into this awful smooth flow which doesn't render the power of the water for me.

With these two, I can hear the noise of the running water beating up the rocks into submission.

Of the two I prefer the top purely because its brighter.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Thanks for your thoughts Roger. I think you are right, although the "rules" as I am sure some would say, call for that glowing silk look. However, this place is jagged and rough. It's more like rapids than falls. If it took my viewer there it was a success no matter what the "rules" are.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

You know what they say about rules. I love shooting waterfalls and taking multiple exposures is a must for me. I like the silky smooth look for some images, and I like the powerfull look of the water frozen in time in others. The trick is to know what look fits the scene the best. I think you did a great job of that with these images.

Of the two images, I also like the top one the best. I think the comp is more pleasing and as Roger said, it's brighter.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Payn,

Don't start me on rules again - If your a photographer there are NO rules - just guidelines which are meant to be followed, bent, or broken: LOL

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Pentax Forum Moderator

Hi Payn...great shots. I agree with Roger and Michael. Both of these really make you feel the power of the water. I am just learning this technique and have not yet found my niche. I tried many shots this weekend at Governor Dodge State Park here in Wisconsin. I was not real happy with most of mine, but am not giving up. I gotta lotta learnin' to do yet...hehe...like you, many of mine came out kind of dark, so I have to learn what the sweetspot of my viewscreen is, since it showed nice exposure but when transferred, they were all, almost too dark, except the ones I thought were over exposed. hehe...
    Anyway...look forward to more of these...
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Thanks for the feedback. I too prefer the first one, but included the second to see what others thought about the exposure used for it. I did underexpose it a little to try to keep it from blowing the rocks and water.

Thread Information