• 05-07-2006, 05:02 PM
    payn817
    2 Attachment(s)
    Technique check... waterfalls
    I could have likely used a +2 ND filter to further blur the water. Appreciate any thoughts about these, as I will be taking a trip soon, and waterfalls are likely to be a subject again.
  • 05-08-2006, 12:44 AM
    readingr
    Re: Technique check... waterfalls
    Payn

for me you have just the right balance between smooth and the rough and tumble nature gave waterfalls. However, there is a tendancy for people to blur the water into this awful smooth flow which doesn't render the power of the water for me.

With these two, I can hear the noise of the running water beating up the rocks into submission.

Of the two I prefer the top purely because its brighter.

Roger
  • 05-08-2006, 04:38 AM
    payn817
    Thanks for your thoughts Roger. I think you are right, although the "rules" as I am sure some would say, call for that glowing silk look. However, this place is jagged and rough. It's more like rapids than falls. If it took my viewer there it was a success no matter what the "rules" are.
  • 05-08-2006, 04:51 AM
    mjs1973
    You know what they say about rules. :) I love shooting waterfalls and taking multiple exposures is a must for me. I like the silky smooth look for some images, and I like the powerfull look of the water frozen in time in others. The trick is to know what look fits the scene the best. I think you did a great job of that with these images.

Of the two images, I also like the top one the best. I think the comp is more pleasing and as Roger said, it's brighter.
  • 05-08-2006, 06:54 AM
    readingr
    Payn,

Don't start me on rules again - If your a photographer there are NO rules - just guidelines which are meant to be followed, bent, or broken: LOL

Roger
  • 05-08-2006, 07:17 AM
    ken1953
    Hi Payn...great shots. I agree with Roger and Michael. Both of these really make you feel the power of the water. I am just learning this technique and have not yet found my niche. I tried many shots this weekend at Governor Dodge State Park here in Wisconsin. I was not real happy with most of mine, but am not giving up. I gotta lotta learnin' to do yet...hehe...like you, many of mine came out kind of dark, so I have to learn what the sweetspot of my viewscreen is, since it showed nice exposure but when transferred, they were all, almost too dark, except the ones I thought were over exposed. hehe...
    Anyway...look forward to more of these...
    Ken
  • 05-08-2006, 06:49 PM
    payn817
    Thanks for the feedback. I too prefer the first one, but included the second to see what others thought about the exposure used for it. I did underexpose it a little to try to keep it from blowing the rocks and water.