Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    GB1

Just Me and the Trees

Sunrise last Saturday in Joshua Tree, CA.

Name:  DSC_4015_Edit1_1000.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  170.8 KB
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Re: Just Me and the Trees

I like this image, GB, but then I have a soft spot for Joshua trees! I'd like to see a hint more of detail in the lower black portion of the frame because it does cover a considerable area-too much solid black, me thinks.
    Ken

My Website: His Creation
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Wayne Gretzky

GB1

Ken - thanks for replying. that's a rarity here nowadays.

I actually did an HDR on this one, but after comparing the results (which had considerable foreground detail) and the silhouette one, I don't think it was even close: the classical outline against a (rising) sun won handily.

Below is the HDR version for your viewing..

G

Just Me and the Trees-dsc_4010_1_2_3_4_tonemapped_crop_800.jpg

My Site

I agree, the silhouette image is definitely the better one. With the detail you do have available, you should be able to adjust an HDR image to provide some detail in the darkness, but with or without the detail, I do like the capture.

Having been away for some considerable amount of time, I've noticed that there has been quite a drop off of activity on the forum. Too bad, as I've learned alot from the talented people here like you.
    Ken

It's a tough call between the two photos for me. I think I actually like the HDR version better. I think the texture on the ground is pretty interesting and adds context. It may not have the initial impact of the pure silhouette photo. But I think it has more depth and makes for an overall more interesting and engaging image.

One thing bothers me about both images - the sun being in the center of the composition. I'm finding it sort of traps me in the middle of the image and doesn't allow me to look around much. I think changing the composition to move the sun out of the middle might make the whole thing a little more active.

Sorry about there not being as many comments right now. We are doing some work to improve traffic and seeing results on other parts of the site. It just hasn't really made a difference on the forums yet. But if you'd like to help things get better you can share your Photo Critique posts on Facebook and encourage other photographers to participate. Even if activity is down, this is still one of the few places that really is about actual critique and that makes it a special forum
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I often have to spend time in man made pine forests where a close uniformity is the norm, i find these images quite wonderful for their contrast to what I am used to. I have to agree with the comment that the first image has more impact although I"m taken with the detail in the second in spite of its slightly strange ratio.
    Pete

Isn't it a cool thing in nature that the colours never seem to clash...

I have no issues with you editing my photos

The images are awesome and make me wish I was there , the place has to be fantastic, I would love to spend time in a place like that, around sunrise/sunset, take it slow, put the camera in the tripod, bracket a bit, play with the composition, zoom wide, zoom to tele , etc ...

About critique ... I'm partial to clouds and sunsets, so ...

in the fist image I find the trees get in the way of the wonderful sky, smaller trees and more sky may have been an alternative, I'm fine if kept as silhouettes,
    about the hdr image, I like the detail on the ground, agree that the sun right in the middle calls to much attention

Greg , if you drove all the way to this place, you may have many more images, don't you ?

If I were shootings the trees I may have used the sunset light to lit a tree from the side, and compose around that , but this is just my personal taste

GB1

Appreciate the additional feedback, Amigos.

Ken, I like and tried your idea. [start of geeky PS talk] In PS, I used the silhouetted image as the base and then adding a lighter version over top of it as a layer, then hide the layer and used a graduated white to black fill to reveal only the bottom.[end of geeky PS talk]. It gives a certain detail to the foreground but also fades out as it nears the trees. Does it work..?

PJ, I know, tough call between the two here. Hopefully the edit below is the best of both worlds. I see what you mean about the centered sun. It's sort of one dimensional. I think however that moving it to the side would have made the lighting really fade out on the opposite side, like a graduated ND filter turned sideways. Would have been a good expt anyway.

Yeah, I know, we need more traffic. I'm not sure why but everyone seems to have bolted or only pops in once a month. Maybe the forums became too formulistic, like, how many times have we all told someone "You need to put the subject at the 1/3 or 2/3 point in the frame..." ? I think after awhile people don't see the value of that type of critique, especially if they have advanced beyond the point of following 'the rules.' Anyway - your idea of referring folks this way is a good one. Let's see what happens!

Pete, does the new post solve the dilemma? Yeah these trees are crazy.. Like the Saguaro cactus that only appears to grow in one large cluster area (southern Arizona), the Joshua trees only seem to cluster in the Mojave Desert region. But are the forests in NZ really man made?

Armando, I do have tons of photos of the Joshua Trees. So many of them are only so-so, but w/ the many exotic rocks there as a backdrop you can get some incredible photos. The issue is that if you don't camp inside the park that the gates don't open until after sunrise, so most of my images have been in the areas just outside the gate, which I admit aren't as striking. I need to get a camping permit ahead of time before they sell out and do that. I like your idea on the side lighting .. wondering if it'll look good .. one way to find out I guess, just go do it.

G

(ps - click on it to see it full size..)
    Just Me and the Trees-dsc_4010_12_merge_1200.jpg

My Site

Looking good. Nice photography and i think you have special love with trees therefore instead of spending time with your girlfriend you chose the tress.

I like the edit, Greg. It encourages me to explore the image even more and adds interest to it.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by GB1 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_4010_1_2_3_4_tonemapped_crop_800.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	137.2 KB 
ID:	91388
    Wow! I really like this one!

GB1

Quote Originally Posted by GrimCamera View Post
    Wow! I really like this one!
    yeah, the more I look at the HDR version the more I see the advantage of defined foreground.

My Site

Quote Originally Posted by GB1 View Post
    Appreciate the additional feedback, Amigos.

. But are the forests in NZ really man made?

G

(ps - click on it to see it full size..)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_4010_12_Merge_1200.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	192.8 KB 
ID:	91428
    OT yeah I know but in answer to your question we have well over !.7 million hectares of man made plantations here, mainly a cultavar of Monterey pine. Also a further 6.5 million hectares in indigenous forest.
    Pete

Isn't it a cool thing in nature that the colours never seem to clash...

I have no issues with you editing my photos

very nice photo

Thread Information