Swing

Printable View

• 04-05-2011, 10:17 AM
    draymorton
    Swing
    Jazz legend Bucky Pizzarelli gettin' down. From last night.

http://gallery.photographyreview.com...03/Bucky_P.jpg
  • 04-05-2011, 11:28 AM
    Overbeyond
    Re: Swing
    Excellent. His face and it's beautiful expression is beautifully lit.
    His left hand fingers seems a bit shadowy and the tip of his right shoulder has some "degraded" patch. But I am scraping the bottom of the barrel here.
  • 04-05-2011, 12:51 PM
    draymorton
    Thanks for taking the time to look and comment, Tom. Agree about the fingers - too contrasty, too illustrated-looking. The patch can easily be removed.

Thanks again!
  • 04-05-2011, 01:01 PM
    gahspidy
    I agree with Tom. . .Excellent. Catch lights as we discussed is my only nit. Yep, the fingers are a bit dark but they seem to work for me that way.
    Love it.
  • 04-05-2011, 01:48 PM
    draymorton
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gahspidy
    I agree with Tom. . .Excellent. Catch lights as we discussed is my only nit. Yep, the fingers are a bit dark but they seem to work for me that way.
    Love it.

I totally see it now. Gotta reduce the opacity a little. I'll probably repost the corrected version. Thanks as always, G!
  • 04-05-2011, 04:36 PM
    EOSThree
    Your portraiture never ceases to impress me. Not my milieu, but I always like to see your work. Especially your PP, it's excellent.
  • 04-05-2011, 04:47 PM
    arne saknussen
    So sharp! Excellent job.
  • 04-05-2011, 05:08 PM
    armando_m
    Wow, such a master piece!

I can almost feel the guy talking to me any moment now

...and just to critique something , I see another funny looking patch on the guitar, below his forearm, odd looking pinkish/purple noisy area
  • 04-05-2011, 05:24 PM
    Greg McCary
    I noticed then left hand being dark before I read Toms post, but agree. I sure would like to watch you process an image sometime.
  • 04-05-2011, 05:43 PM
    draymorton
    Thanks, guys. I'll try to address what I can and repost. I see other mistakes, too, which I'm not sure I know how to fix.

I wanted to know if the shot itself worked, but also if the processing worked. This kind of postwork is tricky: if you overdo it by 5%, it'll look really stupid.
  • 04-06-2011, 08:37 AM
    LeeIs
    Another great shoot. Love the look on his face. Dude you're getting all these famous people. :D At least one day I can say, hey, I know that Seth guy. lol.

How come no one mentioned the slight chop to the jazz legend's head? ;)

It doesn't bother me either. Was just wondering since that's usually the first comment I see from people.

Good stuff man
  • 04-06-2011, 11:49 AM
    draymorton
    Thanks Liban. :D Unfortunately, getting a famous person or two doesn't make you famous. Nor does it necessarily make it any easier to pay the bills.

I could let out the crop a little. It wasn't shot this tight.

Thanks for the comment. Hoping to get together with him soon in Joisey to do a proper shoot...
  • 04-06-2011, 05:03 PM
    jetrim
    I like this one a lot Dray! Shoulder patch is really the only distraction for me, fingers and head are just fine as is :thumbsup:
  • 04-08-2011, 12:04 AM
    Anbesol
    Great shot, framed perfectly.

I'm seeing something funky on his left cheek. What is that?
  • 04-08-2011, 01:15 PM
    draymorton
    Thanks guys.

Right near his left eye? Yeah, I don't know what that is...
  • 04-09-2011, 08:55 PM
    GB1
    Wow, very sharp photo Dray, and very personal. Great eye contact, and the lighting is special in that it doesn't overwhelm. My only nitpick is not to clip off the top of the head like that next time, but I think you know this already (and I haven't read the other posts yet).

G
  • 04-10-2011, 07:42 AM
    draymorton
    Thanks GB. Yeah, I can back off the head a little, as this image was way cropped in from the orig. (I only had 85mm to work with. lol).

Thanks again!
  • 04-15-2011, 02:00 PM
    PhilF
  • 04-15-2011, 02:02 PM
    PhilF
    2 words....

Herman Leonard.
  • 04-15-2011, 04:19 PM
    draymorton
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilF
    2 words....

Herman Leonard.

The Man. His Sinatra images are equivalent to Friedwald's Sinatra musings. i.e. the best!
  • 04-15-2011, 04:28 PM
    draymorton
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilF

I totally agree!
  • 04-18-2011, 11:20 AM
    gahspidy
    would have stuck this earlier but wanted to make sure this photo would stay in the thread ;)
  • 04-18-2011, 11:43 AM
    draymorton
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gahspidy
    would have stuck this earlier but wanted to make sure this photo would stay in the thread ;)

LOL! Thanks! But this one's not going anywhere. I'm sure he'd be okay with it.
  • 04-18-2011, 10:17 PM
    SHbaker11
    The photo was perfectly captured. The action and expression is very clear and I could tell he's a great artist and a musician too! Two thumbs up!
  • 04-21-2011, 10:48 AM
    NKP68
    Congrats dray, wonderful image!!!
    Ed