Sunset in NM

Printable View

• 12-18-2012, 10:49 AM
    GB1
    1 Attachment(s)
    Sunset in NM
    Don't recall ever uploading this White Sands image for critique, so here it be (again?)...

Not sure about the graduation on the right side; may be too intense. I don't see any easy way to fix,

G

[Edit - I don't know why the website now displays the images much smaller than they are (?!) .. it's only showing 510 pixels wide here, but if you click on it you will see it larger. But when you do so it shows it softer and with less color than it really has .. no idea on this one, either.]

Attachment 90771
  • 12-19-2012, 11:16 AM
    Ridgetop
    Re: Sunset in NM
    Love the shadows, but definitely want a more even sky color on this one. Pure blue would have been great, but I can see the location of the sun would have made that difficult.
  • 12-20-2012, 02:10 PM
    armando_m
    Great shadows, going from the top left corner to the bottom right corner
    the projections make the place look big

I like the sky as is, making it even would be like a noon shot ...
  • 12-20-2012, 04:35 PM
    hminx
    I was expecting lots of reds and yellows when opening a sunset shot, but I find the blues a pleasant surprise. I think it needs a stronger foreground element to complete the composition though.
  • 12-21-2012, 09:58 AM
    GB1
    Thanks for the feedback .. And happy that I hadn't already posted it :o

Ridgetop, Yeah, I agree that it could potentially be better with more color up there, but as you know, you can only take what you can get when you're passing through. I was at White Sands once when they had some awesome clouds and consider myself very lucky to hit it during that time. A benefit of having clear skies though is better shadow.

Armando, thanks for articulating that cause I didn't know why I liked the shot or why it seemed so expansive. I guess the way the shadows almost cover the entire frame and the way they almost angle from the corner adds something.

Pete, good point! This is a constant challenge out in the desert; tons of supporting characters but hardly a worthy main subject in sight. At White Sands it's especially hard as there's not much out there, but a benefit of this is a nice, clean look to the images (shots taken in the Cali desert can look pretty cluttered sometimes with all that Ocotillo et al). I'll keep trying.

G
  • 12-22-2012, 07:49 AM
    Don Schaeffer
    I think the weakness of this is color balance. It's much too blue and white to be a sunset.
  • 12-23-2012, 01:13 PM
    Grandpaw
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GB1 View Post
    Don't recall ever uploading this White Sands image for critique, so here it be (again?)...

Not sure about the graduation on the right side; may be too intense. I don't see any easy way to fix,

G

[Edit - I don't know why the website now displays the images much smaller than they are (?!) .. it's only showing 510 pixels wide here, but if you click on it you will see it larger. But when you do so it shows it softer and with less color than it really has .. no idea on this one, either.]

Attachment 90771

Greg, after you insert the picture and before you post it double click on the picture and check full size. Jeff