Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Sunrise Smyrna

Sunrise Smyrna

Taken with Canon S30. Cloned out some overhead wires in upper left.

I'd appreciate any input.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sunrise Smyrna-sunrise-smirna.jpg  
    Last edited by Chunk; 06-03-2004 at 02:01 PM.

Chunk,

Very nice shot. Great job on the exposure. Where is Smirna?

PG

OOPs, sorry. That's Smyrna. My bad. It's Down East, in NC.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Chunk
    Taken with Canon S30. Cloned out some overhead wires in upper left.

I'd appreciate any input.
    Hi Chunk,

Thought I would return the favor of taking the time to critique my photo. (Thanks!)

I like your photo very much, the tones overall are very nice. The picture gives me a very mellow feeling. The reflections on the water are great too! (I haven't been able to do that yet...so I am envious). The birds sitting on the posts and I especially like the position you were able to get this shot from. I think it is a great shot!!

Betty
    "When you aim for perfection you discover it is a moving target".

- George Fisher -

Very nice! The photo makes me wish I was in the picture drinking a cup of coffee. Very calm and beautiful scene. Good job!

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Great framing...

I like how you framed this photograph... Not too much shore, just enough tree.
    You have a lot of good composistional elements going on, the repetition of the birds, the posts and their reflections.
    Color is good. The placement of the sun works well too.
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Quote Originally Posted by bjtindle
    Hi Chunk,

Thought I would return the favor of taking the time to critique my photo. (Thanks!)

I like your photo very much, the tones overall are very nice. The picture gives me a very mellow feeling. The reflections on the water are great too! (I haven't been able to do that yet...so I am envious). The birds sitting on the posts and I especially like the position you were able to get this shot from. I think it is a great shot!!

Betty
    Thanks Betty. That feeling is what I was shooting for. Sunrise is often the best time of the day for me.

You mentioned that you haven't been able to get reflections yet...did you mean you've been having a problem getting it or just that you haven't tried? One thing with reflections is that any camera shake at all seems to muddy reflections especially. I think our eye wants to see the little distortions that tell our brain that its a reflection and not a straight picture of something and a little blurriness prevents that. Do you shoot with a tripod? I'd recommend it strongly, even if you don't suffer from old fart shakes like some of us.

Also, the dead calm wind conditions often found around sunrise make for terrific reflections. When you get those conditions you notice the difference when the slightest puff of a breeze stirs the surface. You can still get nice shots, but not that mirror like reflection.

Thanks for commenting.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle_Eye
    Very nice! The photo makes me wish I was in the picture drinking a cup of coffee. Very calm and beautiful scene. Good job!

Thanks for commenting

Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    I like how you framed this photograph... Not too much shore, just enough tree.
    You have a lot of good composistional elements going on, the repetition of the birds, the posts and their reflections.
    Color is good. The placement of the sun works well too.
    Brian
    Thanks for commenting. I agree (immodestly) with your comments on the composition, but I was expecting someone to comment on the horizon's placement in this pic. I thought of all the other stuff while shooting it, but I don't think I noticed that the horizon splits this shot exactly in the middle until I was getting it ready to post here.

I don't think that what would normally be considered a compositional no-no is a problem in this shot, but I'm not sure why. It may be the strong vertical linking of the tree silohuette or kind of a false horizon effect between the lighter sky above the sun and darker sky below, or maybe that the overall picture would be harmed by removing the clouds in the upper part of the sky to move the horizon off center. What do you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by Chunk
    Thanks Betty. That feeling is what I was shooting for. Sunrise is often the best time of the day for me.

You mentioned that you haven't been able to get reflections yet...did you mean you've been having a problem getting it or just that you haven't tried? One thing with reflections is that any camera shake at all seems to muddy reflections especially. I think our eye wants to see the little distortions that tell our brain that its a reflection and not a straight picture of something and a little blurriness prevents that. Do you shoot with a tripod? I'd recommend it strongly, even if you don't suffer from old fart shakes like some of us.

Also, the dead calm wind conditions often found around sunrise make for terrific reflections. When you get those conditions you notice the difference when the slightest puff of a breeze stirs the surface. You can still get nice shots, but not that mirror like reflection.

Thanks for commenting.
    You are welcome. Your photo is great!

Reflections, have tried a couple of times, the water is never that smooth up here, I live ina windy place. And my hands do shake a little when I put on the zoom lens, it is still new to me. When I tried to take a picture of water and the objects reflecting off of the water it is always windy. The last couple of days the wind has started calming down, after about 2 1/2 months of wind I am ready for it to stop. I will keep trying.

Betty

- George Fisher -

learning member
    Hi Chunk ,

Excellent photo !
    It is God's way to decorate the earth so we could capture it on film
    Greetings
    james

QUOTE=Chunk]Taken with Canon S30. Cloned out some overhead wires in upper left.

I'd appreciate any input.[/QUOTE]

Nice scene captured well,i like it . Good job.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

I just wanted to say I really like how you put your critique, very poetic! And perfect in this case.

Betty

- George Fisher -

About the horizon placement. Yes, generally it is a no-no as a guide line , of course. But as you mentioned somehow it goes unoticed and does not take away from this scene. Not sure what the reason exactly is, but would agree that the vertical tree in the right frame breaking the horizon helps. Guide lines and rules of thumb are fine for all of us as a starting point, but when something works as it is, then all else goes out the window. Once again, nice scene captured well.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Very Nice

wow...I can't believe I missed this one...I've had a hard time keeping track of all the new posts... this is beautimous.

I think all the elements come together well and honestly there isn't much I'd change about it...I'lll keep gazing at it and if I come up with anything I'll let you know... well done...
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    About the horizon placement. Yes, generally it is a no-no as a guide line , of course. But as you mentioned somehow it goes unoticed and does not take away from this scene. Not sure what the reason exactly is, but would agree that the vertical tree in the right frame breaking the horizon helps. Guide lines and rules of thumb are fine for all of us as a starting point, but when something works as it is, then all else goes out the window. Once again, nice scene captured well.
    Thanks for confirming this, Gary. Like I said, I was surprised when I finally noticed it.

Penny and Nat...

Thanks for looking and for the kind comments.

Thread Information