Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Broken Trees

Broken Trees

Broken Trees-blackwell-forest-preserve-b-w.jpg

Nikon D40 18-55mm
    ISO: 220
    Aperture: f/10
    Shutter: 1/250

Any constructive criticism? I'm new and looking to improve. This photo was originally in color (posted on this thread), but I was told B&W would be a better fit.

Re: Broken Trees

I think you are heading in the right direction, but I still think this needs a crop to move the horizon line into a top third location, and possibly needs a slight brightness lift.
    Curious as to what editing software you are using ?
    Pete

Isn't it a cool thing in nature that the colours never seem to clash...

I have no issues with you editing my photos

I'm using CS6. Another critique said the same about the brightness. I just brightened and turned up the contrast a bit. You guys are right -- it looks much better. I'll work on cropping it next. Thanks!

GB1

Spectacular highs and lows. I like the stark contrast and its moodiness. The main fallen tree is at a good position in the frame.

Things I think could be improved: hmm. It bothers me a bit in that it's too close to being vertically cut in half. The darkness makes for a moody scene, but it is so dark in the foreground that I can't really gain any 'information' about what's happening there. The large fallen tree acts as the subject, but as described previously, it's so dark that it's a little too anonymous.

My takeaway on the shot is therefore 'What's this?', but I don't think I could ever answer that by continuing to study the shot. Maybe mystery is good?

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate it. Maybe I can brighten it up a tad so it's not as dark. I like the whole "mysterious" thing, but you're right, I want people to know what the subject is and what's happening in the photo. Next time I'll try to position it better so there is an obvious subject. Thanks again!

Thread Information