Stormy Day at the Beach

Printable View

• 10-23-2012, 07:23 AM
    Adamo
    2 Attachment(s)
    Stormy Day at the Beach
    Couple shots taken this weekend, thoughts?
  • 10-23-2012, 09:44 PM
    GB1
    Re: Stormy Day at the Beach
    Matt - Hmm. The top one has a good composition, though I am undecided on so much sky (even though it's interesting). Glad to see you were out catching pix of the clouds. Obviously you did quite a bit of color manipulation on these, or at least some. I think I would like the effect better if it was of pix in cold weather, as it seems like 'cold weather' colors, almost blustery. Anyway, as an expt, I would consider cropping off part of the sky in both to force attention to the foreground, see what happens. G
  • 10-25-2012, 06:37 AM
    Adamo
    Thanks Greg, I see what you mean about the horizon. Not sure what you meant about the colors, yes I boosted the green and blue saturation to bring out the colors of the water, but it was pretty cold. I mean maybe not East Coast winter cold. I wanted the end product to be dramatic, since it was very dramatic in person. That's why I liked the contrast in the second shot of my daughters pink clothes against the dark ominous background. Thanks again, lets set up another get together soon.
  • 10-25-2012, 08:40 PM
    GB1
    Matt, somehow the colors seem ... surreal! Amazing that it's just a little saturation boost on the greens and blues. The clouds must have created a wild type of light (grrrr.. I missed it too. There'll be more). Yes, we will have to do something for the Christmas time in SD. I'll keep my ears open on what might be interesting.
    G
  • 10-26-2012, 06:26 AM
    Adamo
    I was using a polarizing filter and ND graduated filter, so that might have contributed some. I did do alot of sharpening using LR4 and some other tweaks. I guess it is a little too much. I was just trying some different techniques.
  • 10-26-2012, 12:59 PM
    iyuphoto
    Adamo,

Nice capture of the clouds. They look dramatic. Of the two photos, I like the bottom one more. The leading line seems to be stronger and your daughter adds an element of interest to the photo; whereas in the top photo, the two little sail boats just doesn't seem strong enough to capture my eyes. Instead, my eyes naturally wandered to the clouds.

Since the clouds are so dramatic, to help with that drama, perhaps ave less water/rocks and more clouds in the framing. My comment reminds me of the "more cowbells" skit on Saturday Night Live.

Respectfully,

iyuphoto
  • 10-26-2012, 02:11 PM
    draymorton
    May I just say how jealous I am? I've been looking all over for a breakwater like that to shoot! Maybe I've been looking too hard. The harder you look, the less you find, after all.

I like them both, but prefer the second because of the vantage point (more effectively revealing the extent and scale of the breakwater) and because it features a strong subject, caught at a great moment, in attire that really makes her the focal point.

But it looks a little soft to me, especially the subject. It would have been better if she had been totally sharp or if there were even more motion blur.

I'm also wondering whether a little sepia or color balance would bring the whole shot together a little more.

It is a fantastic moment, though, in a beautiful setting.
  • 10-26-2012, 07:14 PM
    AgingEyes
    I like the mood, colors and the details of the second one. The only thing I don't like about that one is the top of the head of the girl is almost touching the horizon line.
  • 11-02-2012, 01:57 PM
    Avalanche
    nice colors.
  • 11-14-2012, 10:45 AM
    skitheast
    reminds me of Maine, good shots
  • 11-27-2012, 03:10 PM
    jesilangdale
    The top photograph is my favourite, I like the balance of the sky above and water below. These shots are beautiful, my only critique is that the colours seem a bit faded and the foot of the girl in the bottom photograph is blurred. They're still very wonderful despite that!
  • 11-28-2012, 11:28 AM
    HelenV
    great colors. what camera do you use?
  • 11-28-2012, 12:51 PM
    freygr
    That is not stormy! Just Cloudy - form the land of 15% gray skys