Stones

Printable View

• 05-12-2012, 07:46 PM
    GB1
    Stones
    Took this on the beach here a few weeks ago on 35mm Ektachrome film. Does the composition work, could it be better? Feel free to crop and repost if you have an idea. Thanks..

GB

http://www.gregbulla.com/Photography...ocks1_1000.jpg
  • 05-12-2012, 08:02 PM
    Frog
    Re: Stones
    I can spend hours looking at stones but I always want to pick them up.
    I also want to be able to look all around.
    I want to pick up and examine some of these stones which speaks well of the photo.
    However, I can't see what lies to left, right, top, bottom.
    As a photo, the exposure and color are great but it either needs something else amnongst them or they need to be isolated against a different background.
    Just an opinion, GB.
  • 05-13-2012, 09:21 PM
    GB1
    Frog, thanks for your review. I guess wanting to pick them up is an emotional response and I am glad the picture invokes that. Not totally sure I understand wanting to look around, but I guess it's normal to want to take in the whole scene. Of course one can't do that in this type of abstract image, where the area of view is tight. If the shot were to show more (say at a side angle), it would be a totally different image I think.

My personal feeling on this one is that it's a tad dark, blue, and that the lighting wasn't super exciting, causing a slightly flat look. I think it was overcast that day. The only solution I know of is to keep going back till the light is right (??) I do like the white stones myself because they allow me to add composition. Anyway, I will keep working on this idea!

G
  • 05-13-2012, 10:17 PM
    hminx
    I think if you played with this some more in your cs5 it would pop out quite a bit more. Try blending a tone mapped image with this one , or adjusting in LAB colour . Made quite a difference when I tried it. There are some lovely textures in those stones.
  • 05-14-2012, 01:47 PM
    armando_m
    hmm, what to say ...

regarding composition, well, it'll be nice if there was something else besides stones, say a sea shell, a piece of wood ...

I think it can make a good desktop image, or as a decoration on the wall of a waiting room ?
  • 05-15-2012, 09:45 PM
    GB1
    1 Attachment(s)
    Ok fellows, tried a few expts, including the LAB color space adjustment. I think it looks a tad better now, though I am not sure how much better it can be. Thanks for the feedback. Armando, it never occurred to me to have another element in there. I sort of like it w/ only the stones, but a piece of wood or a shell would be nice for another, different type of shot. Will try looking around for one next time.

ps - this one's a little devoid of color. Another expt ..
  • 05-16-2012, 06:44 AM
    Adamo
    I don't think it needs anything else! I first saw this on my phone and thought it would make a great screen saver/background, which it does. For some reason on the computer it loses something. I still like it, but it looks great on my phone!
  • 05-16-2012, 07:55 AM
    GB1
    Adamo, you're right: I just cropped and resized to 480x320 for my phone and tried it - it looks pretty good as a wallpaper. I've always knew that my (palm pre) phone's screen was very high quality though, making many pix look better (and sometimes significantly better) than a computer screen. Hmm..

Anyway, maybe we should have a contest or project on creating wallpapers, perhaps via the Photo Projects forum?

G
  • 05-16-2012, 10:15 AM
    Frog
    Good idea, GB.
  • 05-18-2012, 01:43 PM
    Frog
    Your idea rang a bell,G.

Searched viewfinder and found this thread from a while back http://forums.photographyreview.com/...why-52117.html

Maybe if you put the stones there it will get revived.

Not quite the same as wallpaper. Still thinking about putting in project.