Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Still life in natural light

This was part of an exercise for our local photography group.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Still life in natural light-2009-05-09_fruit_0025.jpg  

Re: Still life in natural light

The blurring on the fruit and bred at the bottom is a bit distracting, but overall composition is quite nice, and it's exposed well.

Yep, that's what I'm concerned about. this was shot at f/1.4 1/4000th sec. probably should have closed the aperture down some.

Nice range of textures.

I actually had to zoom out from 100% to view the entire image. Agree that the blurred lower section is also distracting, was the exercise to intentionally shoot at F1.4? In this photo scene, I think stopping a bit more down would have been better, but as you have it right now -- still very good.

Another thing which caught my eye is the broken/missing apple stem. Not a big deal, but certainly adds (or removes...?) "something" from the overall image.

Try applying a generous dose of contrast and saturation, to add more "oomph". Maybe even try a couple art filters, vignette?

Love + Music + Photography = Life CLKunst's Avatar

Hey Jet~

Did you just get a new lens?:smilewinkgrin: If I just got a new 1.4 that's what I'd be doing with it. I think you've done an interesting job with how you've filled the focal plane. I really like the light on the glass dish. I like the soft, soft lighting and the muted colors, almost has an antique feel without seeming too affected.

I would crop the lower portion off since, as Cara pointed out, it's distracting. Shallow DOF elements are usually more attractive in the background unless you're using it to frame the whole shot, like through a hole in leaves, etc. Just keep playing with it and you'll find what works for you. :thumbsup:
    C.L. Kunst - CLicKs Photography
    Asheville Photographer
    www.clicksphotography.net

Found another version with the focal plane a little further forward. I'm hoping this works a little better from a composition standpoint.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Still life in natural light-jet_may_dscf0019sm.jpg  

D80. 50mm 1.8, 17-55 2.8. SB 600. DLB1973's Avatar

Your second photo sure helps the shot a lot.
    db

I really like both shots...they are such pretty colors...and the natural light really shows how vibrant and delicious the fruit is. (sorry...couldn't think of anything but delicious, even though it may not make sense here!!!)

I like the second shot better though, I like the wooden plate being shown...the contrast of the rustic platter and the crispness of the fruit, and the formality of the crystal bowl. It makes a nice scene. Also, it being off to the side gives the image more interest.

Great job!!! ...... now i want a banana :-))

GB1

Hey Jet, I like your first image. The colors seem a bit off like you processed it, but I don't know how.

I think it's good usage of DOF. However, one problem I have with it is that nothing really 'stands out' and the creative DOF draws attention to some areas that don't seem worthy of it (not being any different than the other areas). For that reason alone, it sort seems like an expt. I like your shallow DOF in general but I think that all the grapes should be in focus, not just some of them. In summary, good technique just try to decide what should and shouldn't be in focus, then execute.

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Thanks Steph and GB The first shot I post (which was the second shot taken) was focused to draw attention to the Crystal bowl, which as Steph noted was the out of place oddball in the grouping. The second shot posted was focused further forward on the Lime which I agree, isn't much of a subject, but keeps more of the forground in the focal plane. What I probably should have done was to simply stop back to @ f/4. This was indeed an experiment to try to find new creative ways to capture old traditional set-ups. The excercise was conducted at a club meeting after one of the members suggested it might be easier to compare techniques, quality, etc... if everyone was shooting the same thing.

Thread Information