Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Lemei Rock - Mt Adams Wilderness

Noob alert.

Appreciate any input.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lemei Rock - Mt Adams Wilderness-p1050468.jpg  

Re: Lemei Rock - Mt Adams Wilderness

It's not a bad shot, but I think a few things could make it better.

I like the sky but the horizon is too centered. Ideally it should fall on 1/3 of the frame.
    The light on the distant mountain is great!
    The rock formation in the foreground needs better light like that distant mountain if it's going to be so prominent in your composition (and maybe also the subject based on the title?). Maybe a sunrise or sunset at this location would give the light you need to make that formation a more compelling subject.

Keep shooting!

Matt

I agree with most of what mattb wrote. The centered horizon could work here, for the simple reason that the sky is too cool to crop out and I'd hate to lose the tree in the lower right. The lighting is the biggest issue here to me. In the shade, I am afraid that Lemei Rock just looks like a pile of dirt. If this is a location you can visit often, keep after it and I am sure you'll get a compelling image!

And welcome to PR!
    Ken

My Website: His Creation
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Wayne Gretzky

As Matt and Ken said welcome to PR
    I have no idea what your P.P. (post processing) skills are SG, or what software you have to work with, but I think this can be improved with a little PP work. It's not a bad shot but it lacks a bit of detail and texture in the fore ground element mainly Lemei Rock. As this appears quite flat colour wise, a contrast adjustment would help here to enhance the rocks texture and software permitting a bit of selective dodging and burning to further bring out all the nooks and crannies. As Matt has already pointed out the horizon would look a little better moved to the top third line, so I must disagree with Ken here and suggest cropping some of the sky and some of the right to keep the image aspect ratio about right . You haven't indicated you preferences on posting edits but if you like I can post one to show what I mean.
    Pete

Isn't it a cool thing in nature that the colours never seem to clash...

I have no issues with you editing my photos

Quote Originally Posted by hminx View Post
    so I must disagree with Ken here
    Gasp!!! Dissension in the ranks!!!

I'm just glad we got another opinion...and I always value Pete's perspective.
    Ken

My Website: His Creation
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Wayne Gretzky

Compared to most here, I too am a noob. Looks like a picture I'd take! So looks good to me. Never knew the horizon isn't suppose to be center. Good to know!

Cormac, when you get a chance google the " Rule of thirds " there are plenty of explanations of how this will effect and improve your image composition.
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by ksbryan0 View Post
    Gasp!!! Dissension in the ranks!!!

I'm just glad we got another opinion...and I always value Pete's perspective.
    Pete

GB1

Wow, impressive capture SG. Love the way those clouds form a triangle angled towards the distant mountain, as if they were directing my eyes there. The colors are soothing. There are no blowouts in the exposure, also a pleasant thing.

If anything about the image could be improved, perhaps you could have taken it from about 10 yards to the right to make the mountain clear the middle ground a little cleaner. The middle ground peek just to the left of the distant mountain is also not as pretty as the rest of the image, but you captured as it was, in nature.

Welcome to the forums also.

GB
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Thread Information