Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spring

Spring

Trying to make something out of this.

Last edited by draymorton; 05-12-2012 at 08:01 PM.

Re: Spring

Those yellow lips really take centre stage Dray...
    Pete

Isn't it a cool thing in nature that the colours never seem to clash...

I have no issues with you editing my photos

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

No pic showing
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Quote Originally Posted by hminx View Post
    Those yellow lips really take centre stage Dray...
    Is that good or bad?
    Last edited by draymorton; 05-12-2012 at 05:23 PM.

It makes this something extraordinary , so it's a good thing. Combined with those intense eyes this is really something different.
    Pete

Isn't it a cool thing in nature that the colours never seem to clash...

I have no issues with you editing my photos

Oh, okay. I was thinking you meant that they distracted in a negative way. In which case, I could change color, darken them, make them smaller, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Frog View Post
    No pic showing
    Yeah, it's gone once again. I've uploaded and linked three times. WTF?
    Last edited by draymorton; 05-12-2012 at 06:09 PM.

I don't know but now I really want to see it after seeing the comments by hminx.
    Keep Shooting!

Quote Originally Posted by Frog View Post
    I don't know but now I really want to see it after seeing the comments by hminx.
    It's back - probably viewable for another five minutes.

I've already fixed certain things that were bugging me.

I see it now.
    Now, this isn't something I'd ever attempt so I can't really critique it but it is a cool shot.
    I like how the colors reflect in her eyes.
    Keep Shooting!

Different!

Great colors,

perhaps a bit to centered, I'm looking at it on my phone, making it bigger and scrolling seems to produce interesting crops

Great eyes too!

Excellent portrait, Seth. Love the tight symetrical crop, perfect for this. Tough to critique really, its good to go. If I had to suggest anything I might want to see you remove some of the color on the nose where as the tip has the yellow and her left nostril has some of the pink tones. Its not bad, but I am still undecided as to whether I like it that way or not. In any case, this is a strong piece for your portfolio.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Thanks, guys.

Armando - Yeah, I tried zooming in and cropping in different ways, too. What kind of crop were you thinking? The bad thing about this image is that I've already cropped to the max, so it's now a pretty small file. I wish there were some way I could res up without losing IQ, so that I could pull off some closer crops.

Gary - thanks. Yeah, I was wondering who would be the first to point out the pink shading on the nose. I'm divided on it, but here's an edit without (plus a bunch of other corrections):

Here's a vintage b/w take:

And a design for a greeting card I'm sending someone:

p.s. Wow... just hit me that she looks a lot like Meryl Streep.
    Last edited by draymorton; 05-13-2012 at 02:04 PM.

That last one is WAY COOL, dude!
    Keep Shooting!

Looking a this on the computer, now I do not think a crop would work, specially if it is aready small

Completely agree with Frog, the last one is really nice

All three variations are excellent. The yellow on her nose in the top one bothers me a bit. The middle image is nice, but I think it may be a little too washed out. As has been said, the third image is fantastic and I agree, would make an excellent card. I could see it in print. My vote for the feature!

Thanks, Frog, armando, and Adamo.

Adamo - could you be more specific about the yellow on her nose? You mean that small area on the bottom? I think that top edit is the one I'm going with (the third edit is strictly for a one-off print), so I want to make everything the best it can be.

Armando - I did see what you were saying about a crop. It would look cool. I'm going to play around with some variations.

Appreciate the feedback on the card itself, too. On that note, just to confuse you further: which one is better, the last edit above or this next edit? The new one is more dramatic and her face has more dimension to it - kind of pops out of the frame a little more - but does it look too Queen-Of-The-Damned creepy?

Last edited by draymorton; 05-14-2012 at 07:33 AM.

Dray,

In the original image I get a very slight yellow cast on the tip of her nose. Very slight, but my eye is drawn to it none the less. I thought it was my monitor, but I checked it at home and it was actually more pronounced.

As for the new edit, IMO it makes her look a little dirty. It may be too dark. That being said, she does seem to "pop" off the screen a little more. Maybe somewhere inbetween the two. You really can't go wrong with either one, I really like them. They remind me of something Julieanne Kost would do.

Okay, I went with an in-between. And you were right - a nice balance of pop and lightness. Looks good on textured matte paper.

Re: yellow - yup, that's what I thought you were talking about. It's the reflection of the lipstick. Easily remedied.

Julieanne Kost? Thanks!

And thanks for staying with me on this.

I love everything about the first one except the lips. Weird, I can't get used to the yellow lips. Her face is awesome though, her eyes are looking great, such a nice stare down. The textures and colours of the flowery thing on her head is very good. Skin tones, etc. are all great. The yellow lips though are messing with me visually. I played with the colour and I think even an oranger lips might work it better. I really love the original photo though without all the design added. Good stuff!
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

Ha, you know, I almost changed the color of the lips before posting. It would be very easy to change. What do you feel the ideal color would be?

The edit with all the design stuff was solely for a card I'm sending to someone (you'd probably laugh if I told you who). It's nothing I would use anywhere else.

Keep the yellow lips, they are so marvelously different and they match the yellow leaves and the yellow in the eyes. Your last edit is remarkable. The lips kid of grab you, but the eyes are what sells it (the shot).

Quote Originally Posted by draymorton View Post
    Ha, you know, I almost changed the color of the lips before posting. It would be very easy to change. What do you feel the ideal color would be?

The edit with all the design stuff was solely for a card I'm sending to someone (you'd probably laugh if I told you who). It's nothing I would use anywhere else.
    Maybe something orangish. Like the colours that are inside the yellow leaf on the right. I think that might work. The problem for me with the yellow is it's too light and she has a very light skin, the two kind of fight a bit. Something more orangy or darker will work better imo.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

Quote Originally Posted by arne saknussen View Post
    Keep the yellow lips, they are so marvelously different and they match the yellow leaves and the yellow in the eyes. Your last edit is remarkable. The lips kid of grab you, but the eyes are what sells it (the shot).
    Thanks, arne. Yeah, I liked the color myself.

Maybe something orangish. Like the colours that are inside the yellow leaf on the right. I think that might work. The problem for me with the yellow is it's too light and she has a very light skin, the two kind of fight a bit. Something more orangy or darker will work better imo.
    I think I edited them with a darker orange at one point. Not nearly as distinctive, but might work better.

I like the color of the lips. The thing I am having trouble with is that to me they appear to be detached from the face. Almost like they are an after thought or something (literally not Photoshopped ) pasted onto the subject.

I like your last edit the best, it has the best continuity in the face, I actually believe the lips are on the face in that edit.

That being said I am always in great appreciation for your subjects, technique, and PP skills.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information