Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Sunrise over a Train Trestle

This one is from last week end. What do you think?

I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Re: Sunrise over a Train Trussel

Before I poke and prod... can you elaborate on your settings the best you can? There is no EXIF data attached to the picture to check out.
    Ross Mealey of TRJ Photography
    Berkshire Scenic Railway Museum Staff Photographer
    National Press Photographers Assn. Member (NPPA)
    Canon, Sigma, Mamiya, Toyo,and Rodenstock-Sironar

My Railroad Photography

Quote Originally Posted by Orgnoi1
    Before I poke and prod... can you elaborate on your settings the best you can? There is no EXIF data attached to the picture to check out.

F/18, Trying for a star effect, 1/160 ISO200. With a circular Hoya Polarizer. Poke and prod at will. That's why I put it here......
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

ok... unsure of the star thing... but I think I would have went two ways with this...I think I would have raised the shutter speed and brought the tone of the picture further down towards a true silhouette... or pulled your aperture in a bit and brought up the colors a tad... you have some green leaves in the foreground... and the sky is slightly gray casted...

Bringing the shutter speed up will fix the green leaves and the gray cast...

My Railroad Photography

drg

Greg,

This is one where you could use the split/graduated density filter and/or a Circular Polarizer to great effect. The CP could be used to accentuate the sky, though most likely won't deepen it as the light is probably to direct. The Cokin could be used to knock down the highlights and bring up the foreground if you were so inclined or desired that result.

A higher shutter speed will push this more towards the range of a silhouette, but alone won't fix the sky other than to lessen its dynamic range. There's a good possibility it would be grayer.

This is the perfect example of when to use HDR type multiple exposures (or multiple developments of a RAW file) to get more exposure range and thus detail. Tripod required!

By the way it is a TRESTLE not a TRUSSEL.
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Quote Originally Posted by drg
    Greg,

This is one where you could use the split/graduated density filter and/or a Circular Polarizer to great effect. The CP could be used to accentuate the sky, though most likely won't deepen it as the light is probably to direct. The Cokin could be used to knock down the highlights and bring up the foreground if you were so inclined or desired that result.

A higher shutter speed will push this more towards the range of a silhouette, but alone won't fix the sky other than to lessen its dynamic range. There's a good possibility it would be grayer.

This is the perfect example of when to use HDR type multiple exposures (or multiple developments of a RAW file) to get more exposure range and thus detail. Tripod required!

By the way it is a TRESTLE not a TRUSSEL.
    Thanks DRG for correcting my grammer. This next exposure may have had the Cokin on it. I have had my Cokin Grads for about two weeks and I really like them. I am still playing and learning. I am just not a big fan of HDR just yet. I guess I am a little old school and the effect of it doesn't seem right to me, a bit on the cartoon side. The high F/stop creates a star effect that keeps the light from looking blown out. I appreciate your critiques.

Sony a99/a7R

Greg I have to admit... rather see it like this than HDR also... theres an extreme where HDR looks good... a moderator on NEF has it down to a science (Member name Zacker)...but his cartoonlike images are on purpose... HDR wasnt intended to be used at such an extreme that people are trying to push it IMO...

My Railroad Photography

drg

Now I like this one better.

I know what you mean about HDR. One problem is that too many people are confusing HDR with trick or effect photography like Orton effects or don't realize you can't do it with JPEGs. The cartoon effect isn't what HDR is suppose to look like at all.

I like the star effect from the higher F stop, of course you can use a Star filter as well when the number of highlights is limited as in this photo. Cokin makes some fine ones of those as well.
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Ross, I too have seen a couple of photographers that do very well with HDR. One right of off the top of my head is one named Woodsac on another forum,. He has some stunning HDR's. I have tried a couple of HDR's myself and may explore it more later on.
    Drg, You hit the nail on the head. HDR isn't used for it's intended purpose. My biggest problem with it is movement in the image. Any puff of wind or cloud movement and the overall effect for it's intended purpose goes out the window. But HDR does have it's place and I do see plenty of them that I like. Thanks to you both for the input.

Sony a99/a7R

Re: Sunrise over a Train Trestle

Greg, I like the second version better as well. The starry effect and the exposure of the greens in the fg add tremendously to the scene. The only thing missing is a train on the trestle.
    Btw, I believe HDR has very, very limited use. However, most things become successful for reasons other than their intended design/purpose.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Greg,

Sorry old bean but I don't like either of these.

#1 to dark and for me doesn't work as a silhouette.

#2 Am I looking at the sun or the bridge. The sun overpowers this and the greenery at the bottom I find distracting. Crop that lot out and it may improve but not sure if it will work for me.

Sorry

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Thanks Gary, I do intend to do some HDRs later on. The one thing, is I just haven't found a subject that I feel would work.
    Roger. "old bean". You made me laugh this morning. Thanks for your critique........

Sony a99/a7R

Thread Information