• 08-05-2005, 09:22 AM
    schrackman
    1 Attachment(s)
    Something biblical is about to happen...
    This is carried over from viewfinder. This sunset in Acton, CA reminded me of the pillar of fire that followed behind the Israelites.
  • 08-05-2005, 09:48 AM
    mtbbrian
    Re: Something biblical is about to happen...
    WHOA Ray!
    That is something else!
    It is VERY DRAMATIC!
    Not sure what to say.
    Thanks for posting it here too!
    Brian
  • 08-05-2005, 12:39 PM
    Overbeyond
    Outstanding and beautifully presented. I think I can see two legs and a face!
    Tom
  • 08-05-2005, 03:40 PM
    schrackman
    Thanks Brian and Brendan! Yeah, I've never seen a cloud quite like it either. Glad you like the shot.
  • 08-05-2005, 05:47 PM
    fmsmoothtalker
    This is a very very cool picture, I like the way the cloud spirals upward like a flame. I also like the way that the blue complements the orange/yellow tones in the composition...very cool indeed!
    Sandra
  • 08-09-2005, 07:19 AM
    gahspidy
    Ray, good job in framing this very unusual cloud formation highlighted by the setting sun. Very attractive shot. Just the right amount of foreground. Well done.
    One thing, I notice at the top there is alot of banding in the sky where the color shifts from light to dark. This would be very pronounced in print. Did you use a polarizer, and or lots of level and curve adj? This is my only nit and this may not be evident on your version for print.
  • 08-09-2005, 09:34 PM
    Herriot
    Great shot Ray, so dramatic and unusual, the colours are simply fantastic and I find the foreground really complimentary to the shot.

Congratulations on the featured photo!

Herriot
  • 08-10-2005, 07:45 AM
    schrackman
    Sandra, Gary & Herriot, thanks for the replies! Wow, second time in my membership that I've had a featured photo. That's just cool!

Gary, I used a Hoya circular polarizer for this shot and a slight contrast and saturation adjustment but I don't see any banding in the original photo or in my compressed jpeg that I posted. The color shift looks smooth to me. Must be your monitor.
  • 08-10-2005, 12:01 PM
    schrackman
    I take it back. I just remembered this is my third featured photo. That's even cooler! :-)
  • 08-13-2005, 04:23 AM
    Fotowillem
    My compliments;-)
  • 08-14-2005, 12:58 AM
    Seb
    Hello Schrackman,

I hate to say this but I see a spotty uneven texture in your sky as Gary was saying (it looks like artefacts to me). Not only do I see it but I see it quite easily...

Now this doesn't change anything to the fact that your picture is terrific as I have already stated in the Viewfinder. You really captured a special moment here.

regards

Seb