Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Seb

Re: Some sort of self portrait...

Quote Originally Posted by CarbonTerry
    It's a wonderful thing that so many folks can have so many different perceptions and all of them be correct. I was trying to push Seb and others past the norm of their photo craft. If you never go past the limits of your "comfort zone" you will never improve.
    Indeed, I see your point.

Seb....why don't you take the challenge and do a meaningful "self portrait"?
    To tell you the thruth, I don't really have any interest in portraits (or self portraits for that matter) but it can't hurt to try. All that being said, I'd like to know what you think about the photograph submitted here.

regards

Seb

It is really a challenge to do a great job in an area that has no interest to you. That's when you will learn something that will stay with you.
    I would choose the wide version over the close ups. Its result is to make you a part of the composition that the viewer has to find. In other words you are not hitting them over the head with the technique. You are able to have an overall composition that is more pleasing than "Look at me in the reflection of this thing."
    That said, it also depends on what you set out to do.

And to sum it all up -- some things we just do for fun
    Aaron

drg

I stumbled across this posting and was intrigued as I had posted a few days back a photo that turned in to a self portrait (though not really). It was taken while I was working a car show this past summer making custom portraits (a few) and documenting for owners (a lot of cars) what they were displaying.

Here's the link:

another shiny car picture

One situation every photographer encounters on occasion is how to stay out of the shot. Making pictures of building over the years has involved all kinds of "shenanigans" to keep me and/or the camera(s) out the the photo.

Self portraits are never just an image that includes the maker. The photographer who is included needs to be an element of the composition.

Then again, sometimes though, you''ve just got to have little fun

- CDP

Seb

It is really a challenge to do a great job in an area that has no interest to you. That's when you will learn something that will stay with you.
    I would choose the wide version over the close ups. Its result is to make you a part of the composition that the viewer has to find. In other words you are not hitting them over the head with the technique. You are able to have an overall composition that is more pleasing than "Look at me in the reflection of this thing."
    That said, it also depends on what you set out to do.
    I really appreciate your imput and I will attempt few self portrait later on (I have few concepts in mind but it imply shooting outdoor so I'll wait that our cold canadian winter is over to go for it.

Few things though:
    1) as a non portraitist, it seems to me that crafting a succesful close up must be much harder than a "wide version" essentially because I see lesser place for creativity other than working with the lighting (of course, good lighting may be quite hard to get/create but it seems to me that there is not so much room for composition)

2) Overlooking the fact that I have titled this tread "Some sort of self portrait", I would really appreciate to have your opinion on the shots posted here. I mean, I get the feeling that you really don't like these (which is perfectly fine with me, you don't have to like them) but I would like to understand your opinion. It's part of the lurning curve.

regards

Seb

Seb

Quote Originally Posted by drg
    I stumbled across this posting and was intrigued as I had posted a few days back a photo that turned in to a self portrait (though not really). It was taken while I was working a car show this past summer making custom portraits (a few) and documenting for owners (a lot of cars) what they were displaying.

Here's the link:

another shiny car picture

One situation every photographer encounters on occasion is how to stay out of the shot. Making pictures of building over the years has involved all kinds of "shenanigans" to keep me and/or the camera(s) out the the photo.

Self portraits are never just an image that includes the maker. The photographer who is included needs to be an element of the composition.

Then again, sometimes though, you''ve just got to have little fun

- CDP
    Hello,

I gave a look at your picture and I feel ambivalent about it. I get the feel that the people passing by behind you weren't meant to be there. That being said, the hood of that car reflect so much that the end effect is rather interesting.

regards

Seb

OK, you nailed me. I don't like this approach at all. Maybe, because over the years I have seen a "jillion" pix exactly like it. There's nothing new here, except maybe to you.
    Perhaps I'm being too exacting for the level of expertise that you may be experiencing currently. What I'm saying is that I don't know where you are on the "experience scale" and do not want to embarrass either one of us.
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with you doing this type of pic. Just move on and use what you have learned here to take your next pic to a higher level.
    That said, just taking "grab shots" can be a lot of fun too.

DRG,
    I really like this one. For me it's tough to figure out what plane the image resides in. With or without you and the other reflections, I ike it.

Seb

OK, you nailed me. I don't like this approach at all. Maybe, because over the years I have seen a "jillion" pix exactly like it. There's nothing new here, except maybe to you.
    Perhaps I'm being too exacting for the level of expertise that you may be experiencing currently. What I'm saying is that I don't know where you are on the "experience scale" and do not want to embarrass either one of us.
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with you doing this type of pic. Just move on and use what you have learned here to take your next pic to a higher level.
    That said, just taking "grab shots" can be a lot of fun too.
    Thanks for your honnesty, this is what I wanted to hear. I tend to find that it is difficult for me to self grade my level of expertise. You may want to give a look at my personal gallery on this site to get an idea of the kind of picture I usually like to craft. (there are few pictures there at that point but I add one every once in a while).

Seb

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information