Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Some snowboard carving photo

I have more but this is one of the coolest.. I ride racing snowboards and was out at Sugarloaf Maine last week.. and took my cheap Evolt 410 with a zuiko 80-150 lens.. hey I think its worked well for what I paid..

will be doing an E3 and pro lenses soon..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Some snowboard carving photo-g9b.jpg  

Re: Some snowboard carving photo

another pic..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Some snowboard carving photo-jm1.jpg  

Geoff V.. hammering down..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Some snowboard carving photo-gg2.jpg  

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Nice capture, I think the top one is the best.
    Though if you use a little fill light adjustment #2 would be better.
    Just lighten up the shadows a bit to get some pop in the red jacket.

The snow looks unnaturally blue, can you adjust the colour balance ?
    What software do you have for editing the images ?

I'm sure Photo-John can comment on how to use layers to make these better.
    He's got some really nice snow shots with custom adjustments to bring out the detail.

Definitely cool - these belong in the sports forum !
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

here are them adjusted by a guy who has your kinda real....expensive equipment.. Im learning to shoot in snow and over expose so you get the rider..

http://bjphotography.smugmug.com/gal...86651190_6rpnD

take a look at these I don't know if he did any better but they look good..

sorry I posted in the wrong forum...

Shred Gruumer

Nice!

These are sweet. It's good to see some more action sports photographers here. Sure, they could have been exposed better and they can use some adjustment. But they look sharp and you definitely have your timing down. I saw a guy ripping some turns like this a few weeks ago at Solitude. I was psyched because I see so many snowboarders who barely carve at all. And to see someone who can get the board right up on the edge with a hand on the ground is soooo cool.

Ok, for the critique. Yeah, they're dark and the color is wacky. They can definitely be adjusted, though. I'm not sure what you mean by "your kinda real....expensive equipment." If you've got Photoshop or Elements, you can tune these up just fine. Blue is actually the correct color for snow when it's reflecting blue sky. I would start by getting the density / brightness right. That can be as simple as a levels adjustment. Adjust it so that the rider looks exposed correctly and then maybe back it off a bit to hold some highlight detail.

You're right about good exposure, though. Get it right in the camera and your job will be easier. For snow you usually need to overexpose by at least one stop. But you're shooting digital, so it's a lot easier. Do you know how to use your camera's histogram display? The histogram is the most powerful exposure tool available and one of the best things about shooting with a digital camera. If you aren't using it, you're making a mistake. Here's a link to our guide to the histogram:

Digital Camera Histogram Guide >>

It's fine for you to post on the Photo Critique forum. It's a great place for you to post if you want help with your photos. But just so you know, we also have a sports photography forum. It's a good place to post if you just want to share or if you want some specific action photography advice.

Glad to have you on the site. I look forward to seeing more photos from you!
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Photo - John.. all you said is what they..my friends said.. so the smug mug photos are better.. but I certainly did not have it set to over expose.. Im learning.. but I think they cam out with adjustment pretty good for a real entry level camera and lens.. I seen what they shot..so I know where I have to be.. so thanks for the tips.. always appreciated.. I'll work on that as I go to colorado in two weeks... so will see If I can get better.. but for my really first time... im really happy...

ps..yes we ride like this all the time I belong to a ride carving web site..

if your intrested in seeing some serious carving browes around this site I belong to.. it where all of us carvers talk and post.. serious riding for sure..

bomberonline.com

Thanks for the input..

Shred Gruumer

Quote Originally Posted by shred gruumer
    so will see If I can get better.. but for my really first time... im really happy...
    Dude, I'd be totally stoked if my first photos came out that well - You should be really happy! This being a photography site though, the guys are just trying to help you build on this and take your shots to the next level :thumbsup:

Terrific action shots, hope to see a lot more from you.

Roger R.
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Quote Originally Posted by shred gruumer
    sorry I posted in the wrong forum...
    Oh no, not the wrong forum. Critique is for help with your images, getting someone else's view and comments/suggestions - you're in the right place.

I was just drumming up business for the sports section
    It's great to see some action that doesn't have a ball or stick !

We are particularly light on winter sports, maybe people don't like taking their cameras out in the cold :blush2:
    PAul

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat

We are particularly light on winter sports, maybe people don't like taking their cameras out in the cold :blush2:
    It's not the cold that puts me off, its the pain of landing on them that puts me off. I use a compact on the slopes, but need a new one with a viewfinder because I can never see the screen in all that brightness:lol: and never know what the results are till I get in side.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Quote Originally Posted by readingr
    I use a compact on the slopes, but need a new one with a viewfinder
    Well most of the Canon do, my G9 is quite good for that.
    The viewfinder even zooms with the lens zoom.
    PAul

I love to ride on the snowboards. But sadly because for these quarantine days. I won't be able to ride the snowboards but i am so glad to see this image where a person is riding. You need to check https://do-my-assignment.com/write-m...ent-australia/ and get many new ideas to complete their thesis work. I will surely gonna ride after this quarantine days.

You can check this https://techy-brand.com/ to learn more methods of marketing.

prachi

Terrific action shots, hope to see a lot more from you.

Thread Information