Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Some pictures from me

Here's some of the pictures I've taken, like 2% of the total pictures. Let me know what you guys think and by all means, give me pointers and things to work on and try. I'm always open for criticism

Re: Some pictures from me

here's some more, from a different event

Well there are too many of them, so this will be a general critique of the things they got in common:

First off, the colors and exposure are well taken care of.

However, the problem is that there is no reason why the viewer should be drawn to any one are of the images. Were it not for the smoke in some of them, this might as well be a car show... no driving involved.

There is no sense of speed, which should be typical of a drag race.

Also, and this is something we have to face a lot of times, you need to shove people around to get the best position, which is easier said than done.

Panning while the cars are passing by, or simply following them while you shoot at a relatively slow shutter speed, will blur the background, and keep the car in focus. It might take a bit of getting used to, but would certainly add to the images.

Hope this helps... that's all I can give at the moment!
    Marc

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but rather, when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de St-Exupery

Kindly do NOT edit my photos - I would rather try and apply your advice and learn...

My Ramblings....

I tried doing that for some of them, they just came out blurred when i started dropping the shutter speeds

I uploaded alot of them because I didn't see a point in making numerous threads but i'll do that if it'll make it easier

it doesn't help either that i couldn't go any further down the track to get better pictures (track officials wouldn't let anyone pass a certain distance.

Pick just a couple that you like the most, and this way you will get the most out of the critique.

For the panning, I remember shooting a Rally a while back, and it was a bit tricky to get it, since each one is driving at different speeds... but the ones that made it, were really the best... and shutter did not need to be less than 1/60...they are going pretty fast, so it should be enough... alternatively, setting the camera on a tripod, will take care of the vertical motion....

As for the track officials, I realized that sometimes, when you hear about an event you would like to shoot, go down and ask ahead of time... sometimes (not always) they will let you in and give you a pass... just be straight about it... "I am building a portfolio, and I would greatly appreciate a pass, to be able to get the photos... I will give you some of them, when done too" worked wonders for me when i first started...
    Last edited by MarcusK; 11-21-2009 at 05:06 AM.
    Marc

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but rather, when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de St-Exupery

Kindly do NOT edit my photos - I would rather try and apply your advice and learn...

My Ramblings....

I agree with MarcusK, here is a little trick I have used to keep low flying jet aircraft (600 Kts) in frame when panning, with a 300mm or 400mm lens, it works about 75% of the time, and I get a clear full or near full frame image of the plane with a blurred back ground.

I have learned to shoot with either eye to the viewfinder so I can watch the aircraft approach with the other eye open and on the side the aircraft is approaching from. I adapted this from the Army Instinctive Shooting technique. This or some other technique is more important with film than with digital. At any rate try it and see if it helps, it will require some practice.
    Bill,

Feel Free TO EDIT My Photos, But Please Tell Me Why
    I have gone over to the dark side, no more film.
    Canon T2i, 18-135 IS
    Digital Point&Shot - Canon Powershot A470

Quote Originally Posted by w.slayman
    I agree with MarcusK, here is a little trick I have used to keep low flying jet aircraft (600 Kts) in frame when panning, with a 300mm or 400mm lens, it works about 75% of the time, and I get a clear full or near full frame image of the plane with a blurred back ground.

I have learned to shoot with either eye to the viewfinder so I can watch the aircraft approach with the other eye open and on the side the aircraft is approaching from. I adapted this from the Army Instinctive Shooting technique. This or some other technique is more important with film than with digital. At any rate try it and see if it helps, it will require some practice.
    I was doing something very similar to that when getting ready to start shooting multiple photos in a short period of time. I'd use my left eye to watch the tree while holding the button enough to keep it in focus then right before they'd leave i'd start shooting.

I've been doing 90% of my shooting with the camera in the Tv setting (or shutter based setting where the camera figures out the exposure(for those who aren't familiar with canon's)) then adjusting the shutter speeds to get the blurred look or slow it down enough to get the crisp and clear photo. I've got more pictures of an Autocross event that my college holds often that I used my 75-300 99% of the pictures and just adjusted shutter speeds to blur or crispen up the photos. i'll only put a few up of those though from each type (blurred vs. crisp)

What do you guy's think of these? My roommates "pump gas" street car ha

And here's my last few for a while, some from the autocross that I was talking about

Thread Information