Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Some more from Rocky Mountain NP

I swear by the time I'm done printing all my pictures, I'm going to be 50 and have gone through 25 printers )

Anyway, here are a few more. The first two are from Berstadt Lake. I like the first but think that the second may be a bit too contrasty.The third was some blue columbine that was next to the trail on the hike to Lake Hiayaha... it came out better than I thought considering the light was fairly uneven with shadows from the tree cover. The 4th was a pool we passed along the Lake Hiayaha trail that was just absolutely gorgeous.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Some more from Rocky Mountain NP-berstaedtlake.jpg   Some more from Rocky Mountain NP-bluecolumbine.jpg   Some more from Rocky Mountain NP-lakehiayahatrail5.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: Some more from Rocky Mountain NP

Cara i can only wish one day when i retire (little more than 6 years ) to be able to travel and C such beautiful scenery. Well captured

[QUOTE]I swear by the time I'm done printing all my pictures, I'm going to be 50 and have gone through 25 printers )QUOTE]

CaraRose All I can say is that you must be very young LOL

From where I sit these are all very good.

Out of the four the last 2 are my favourites. The flower is stunning and I like how one faces the camera and the other is a side view. I can definately state it is very sharp and the lighting complements the delicate flower.

The last is terrific I would have liked to see more space on the right edge of the photo to get more of the rocks leading up to the peak but it looks like there is a tree/bush in the way.

As for the first 2 they both look fine on my new monitor which shows them up brilliantly. I prefer the second because it shows the reflections on the trees in the water. But no on my monitor its not too contrasty.
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

50? i'll be 31 in a week, and it scares me. Don't make me think of 50! My fav out of this set is #4. Love the eflection of the snowcaps and clarity of the water. I wanna be there!! Only minor nit is maybe it would be nicer to have seen it in landscape with a wide angle. Still an awesome shot, imo.

Hi
    Just want to say from a amateur point of view, loved the last shot. Hope to take some nice shots like that whenever I get a digital camera.
    Turning 50 soon not looking to becoming a half century old.

Hey, these are great! I love the last photo for the wow factor...in fact, I actually said wow out loud.
    My favorite though is the first one, and I think it's because of the simplicity and the contrast in colors.

P.S. There are worse things than turning 50...NOT turning 50 being one of them...eep!

I agree with the others - these are all beautiful captures but that last shot really grabs you. Try warming it up a bit and see if you like the difference. I think you lose a bit of the haziness and can enjoy the submerged rocks amore easily. That shot needs to hang on a wall.
    ----------------------------

Thanks everybody!

LOL, the 50 year old comment, I'm 25... so all I was saying is that it's going to take me 25 years to print everything out! Nothing wrong with being 50 :>)

The pool was something else.. you came around a corner and there was a small break in the trees with this beautiful shallow pool and the mountains reflecting. It was just breathtaking.

I took one of the pool as a landscape, but there was heavy brush and trees on each side of us, so it was bit restricted as to how wide I could go. I think the vertical shots turned out better. I'll post the landscape shot below.

Chunk-- I tried using a warming filter in photoshop-- warming filter 81 at 15% density... what do you think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Some more from Rocky Mountain NP-lakehiayahatrail8.jpg   Some more from Rocky Mountain NP-lakehiayahatrail5.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by CaraRose
    Chunk-- I tried using a warming filter in photoshop-- warming filter 81 at 15% density... what do you think?
    I like that vertical shot best of the two- I like the rocks in the near foreground. That's a pretty slight warming but an improvement I think (where do you find that warming filter in PS?). I was thinking something more agressive like this that I did using colorbalance. I made the same change in Highlights and shadows as well as the midtones. I may have gone too far and you could get a more subtle blend jostling some of the adjustments. Hope you don't mind my doing this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Some more from Rocky Mountain NP-01.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Chunk
    I like that vertical shot best of the two- I like the rocks in the near foreground. That's a pretty slight warming but an improvement I think (where do you find that warming filter in PS?). I was thinking something more agressive like this that I did using colorbalance. I made the same change in Highlights and shadows as well as the midtones. I may have gone too far and you could get a more subtle blend jostling some of the adjustments. Hope you don't mind my doing this.
    I don't mind at all.. I'm getting better at photoshop and PSP, though I'm still pretty much a novice in the digital darkroom.

I think yours is slightly overdone, but I think I see what you're going for. I'll play with it a bit more and see if I can manage to improve it and not ruin it

In Photoshop CS (at least in the copy I have), the photo filters option is under Image-> Adjustments, and is right above highlight/shadow. I have the two warming filters (82, 81), two cooling filters, and about 15 color filters.

Quote Originally Posted by CaraRose
    In Photoshop CS (at least in the copy I have), the photo filters option is under Image-> Adjustments, and is right above highlight/shadow. I have the two warming filters (82, 81), two cooling filters, and about 15 color filters.
    Thanks, I was looking all through the Filters menu.

Can you get these filters for Photoshop Elements?
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Thread Information