Solitude

Printable View

• 05-12-2004, 10:21 PM
    philmony
    1 Attachment(s)
    Solitude
    The inlet was deserted save for this dude in his small boat ... no sounds, no people (except me taking the pic) ... gives a feeling of oneness with water and the elements.
    F4.9 ... 1/250 ... ISO 50 (Picture was cropped slightly on the sides)

Please critique - Thanks
  • 05-12-2004, 11:21 PM
    soren
    good pic
    great color and subject

but i think the theme might be better expressed if you had zoomed in a bit more on the lone boater. possibly shoot vertical so you still get most of the open water in the shot to keep that alone feeling to it?

but i love that gold water!
  • 05-13-2004, 07:58 AM
    PhoebeG
    Just one nitpick, the horizon is slightly off level. Was that the natural color of the scence? Looks as if it were sepia tinted. Nice image.

PG
  • 05-13-2004, 09:24 AM
    philmony
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhoebeG
    Just one nitpick, the horizon is slightly off level. Was that the natural color of the scence? Looks as if it were sepia tinted. Nice image.

PG

Hi - No, it was not Sepia tinted - although I did shoot one directly after this one with sepia tinting ... but imho it came out to dark. I felt that hitting the boater direct on instead of levelling the horizon seem to give it more depth. This was the best of 8 shots taken with different settings on my Canon A80 (newly acquired, so lots of experimenting going on). Thanks for the comments ...
    peace
  • 05-13-2004, 10:57 AM
    Young Shooter
    1 Attachment(s)
    i like the picture alot i would consider brightening the picture in ps which i did a little of this but the color is messed up w.e
  • 05-13-2004, 12:30 PM
    greg hxc
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Young Shooter
    i like the picture alot i would consider brightening the picture in ps which i did a little of this but the color is messed up w.e

Just upping the brightness can leave the photo washed out (as it did in this one). remember that it brightens *everything* including your blacks, destroying your contrast. If you dig deeper and experiment with levels and curves you'll discover a whole slew of ways to better images without losing any of the quality. After using PS for years, I still haven't come close to knowing half of what it can do.

Edit: As a side note, I don't feel this particular photo is too dark and don't see the need to 'shop it up. That could be my over-bright monitors fault though.
  • 05-13-2004, 01:34 PM
    Dave L
    Lovely picture - frame it and hang it up !