Snow Ploughed

Printable View

• 08-17-2011, 02:48 AM
    hminx
    1 Attachment(s)
    Snow Ploughed
    We had a spot of snow yesterday.......:)
    The iq has suffered quite badly for some reason, appreciate if someone could point out a better way of sizing for web and posting
  • 08-17-2011, 06:47 AM
    LeeIs
    Re: Snow Ploughed
    Really well taken. Balanced. love the lines the snow creates. overall excellent. only thing though i wish the sky wasn't quite this dark.
  • 08-17-2011, 07:01 AM
    zorky
    very nice photo
  • 08-17-2011, 06:37 PM
    AgingEyes
    A very nice scene !! I would like a bit more room on the left and perhaps something closer to the foreground on the right (guess you likely didn't have that option around).
  • 08-17-2011, 11:20 PM
    tunabelly
    I'm brand new to this site and to photography in general and really have no right critiquing such exquisite photos! But I suppose I must if it's your constructive criticism that I seek.

At first glance I felt like the photo was almost too busy but the lines and the spacing were intriguing enough that I wanted to explore the photo. I love how the texture changes from sky to mountain to field. Brilliant!
  • 08-18-2011, 03:42 AM
    hminx
    Thanks all, Liban the sky was a bit of an issue as any brighter and that area on the left blew out, come a rainy day I'll drag this out and have another go at the sky and address the left side problem that A.E. pointed out
    TB you have every right to critique ....
  • 08-18-2011, 09:16 AM
    LeeIs
    every time i look at this photo, i love it more. such nice contrasts between the green of the tree and the red of the barn. the blue of the mountains is also great. that tree on the left has some great character also. sorry, it feels like i didn't say enough in my first post.
  • 08-18-2011, 05:54 PM
    Don Schaeffer
    This is just wonderul. Can't see how you can improve it.
  • 08-18-2011, 06:17 PM
    armando_m
    Love the shot

I have nothing to suggest

it is as mention quite a contrast from the plowed field and the mountains in the back, great combination
  • 08-23-2011, 08:59 AM
    starriderrick
    Pete! I have a tough time critiquing this...but,I grew up in snow country, this takes me home... enjoy looking at this more,more.
    Congratulations on the featured sticky.

Rick
  • 08-24-2011, 02:15 AM
    hminx
    Liban ,Don, armando, and Rick I really appreciate your kind words, the pre sized image looked a lot nicer as much more detail was obvious. This snow is pretty but not much welcome by the local farmers as lambing and calving had just started.
  • 08-24-2011, 09:56 AM
    LeeIs
    Congrats on the sticky pete, much deserved! An awesome photo.
  • 08-24-2011, 07:18 PM
    Michelle Clair
    That photo is just perfect =) I wouldn't change a thing if I were lucky enough to be the photographer who caught it. Great image..
  • 08-24-2011, 11:54 PM
    hminx
    Thank you Michelle, and welcome to PR, good to see another Kiwi.
  • 08-25-2011, 07:49 PM
    Chris350
    I like it dark sky and all. I might play a bit to see if some texture could b recovered out of the clouds but not at the cost of the for boding nature of the sky. Winter to me isn't about bright cheery skies rather heavier denser feeling skies.

How did you go about resizing and posting?
  • 08-25-2011, 09:23 PM
    ksbryan0
    Don't know how I missed this shot until now, but I find it very striking. Great detail in the distant mountains, and the stubble lines lead me right into them. I would have loved to see this taken from a lower perspective - more or less looking down the rows. Congrats on the feature!
  • 08-26-2011, 01:43 AM
    hminx
    Appreciate that Chris and Ken
    Unfortunately a shot from a lower perspective was not possible as I wasn't able to locate the land owner at the time.
  • 08-26-2011, 05:05 AM
    Grandpaw
    I can't tell you why but this has sort of a Norman Rockwell feel to me. Very nice shot, Jeff
  • 08-26-2011, 05:51 PM
    shootme
    I think it's the composition in this, the fence line in the foreground offset by the left to right lines of the field, brought back again by the mountain and horizon. Congrats on the sticky.
  • 08-27-2011, 04:50 AM
    hminx
    Cheers Jeff & Shootme
  • 08-28-2011, 07:14 AM
    xtian
    Snow photography, is a kind of photography that I find very hard sometimes. White refracts and adapts colors easily. So controlling how to deflect light from the snow would sometimes become a obstacle
  • 08-28-2011, 08:32 PM
    draymorton
    Postcard material. Congrats, my friend - on the image and the honor.
  • 09-03-2011, 11:36 PM
    JBrunke
    I adore this picture. I actually appreciate the vast space to the right showing the contrast of the field to the mountains to the sky. Not a view many people are blessed enough to enjoy, and I think it deserved to be captured.
  • 09-04-2011, 05:43 PM
    ruosis
    it's beautiful!