Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Eat This

GB1

Eat This

A relic from the past up in the Mammoth Lakes, CA area. I think this is about two years old

I don't like the bright cross beam on the bottom of the fence, but not sure what I can do about it?

G

Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Re: Eat This

Here is what I would try, not sure how well it would work. I would crop it from the bottom almost cutting the white post in two. Then make a duplicate layer and try to copy the board just above it and move it over the white board, just a thought. the lower portion of the image really doesn't add anything and takes away from the main subject. I also think a color edit would bring out the rusty character of the sign. Here is a try at it.

I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

I like Greg's edit on this. Might crop in from the right a little to get the sign off center and I don't think you'd lose anything vital if you came up to the last fence post.
    Ken

My Website: His Creation
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Wayne Gretzky

Me too I also love the crop/frame that Greg made for this shot.

My take on it, working from Greg's edit. I took a little off the right to decentralise the sign, and also (because it was my taste) slightly reduced the sepia. I also cloned out the white thing on the fence on the right.

Apart from the edit, there is something about the image which appeals. Maybe it's because such abandoned places are very foreign to me.

Cheers
    Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Eat This-eat-02.jpg  
    Mike Dales ARPS
    My website: www.mikedalesphotography.co.uk

This last edit by didache is the one that does it for me...sign needs to be off center. Great job.

i LOVE the final edit of this photo - amazing what a difference just a few tricks can make! great subject.

GB1

Thanks fellows.

Greg's edit was a big improvement, and Mike's finished it. I especially like the removal of all those bright 'white' areas in and on the fence!

Regarding the offset centering - I'd say yes and no. That is, the offset looks fine here, but I think in some situations that centering adds an artistic charm (I'm thinking 'pop art' as an example). Sometimes something is just so obviously the subject that offsetting seems deceptive - do you think?

Mike, there are just so many abandoned places out here in the American west. It's funny, really .. they often don't even bother to take the signs down, like "Why expend the energy?" I find them a lot but often in the middle of the day when traveling from pt to pt, and I always ask myself what it would be like to catch them in better light ... I guess one day when I'm no longer working, I will have the time to loiter out there to see.

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.

My Site

In this case the off centering counter balances the mountains, I do believe. Great location.

the last is the best!

Thread Information