Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    Philmont Ranger

Forgotten Memorial 2

Some people thought Forgotten Memorial should show more of the surroundings. Here's a backed up shot. If you reference "one room house" and "forgotten memorial" i think we could get some interesting dialogue on pulling out and darker shots to portray loneliness.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Steve Braunlich
    IWTGBTP
    <a href="http://people.wm.edu/sabrau">Probably 3 dozen of my best photos are placed here</a>

Philmont Ranger
    forgot to mention. i've thought about trying to use the burn and dodge tools in photoshop to bring out the memorial, but no luck on control if anyone has suggestions on that.
    Steve Braunlich
    IWTGBTP
    <a href="http://people.wm.edu/sabrau">Probably 3 dozen of my best photos are placed here</a>

I like this one as well. I like the path leading up to the memorial. Think I like the first one a bit more as it seems to pop out a bit more from the tighter crop. but both are fine.
    Not sure what you mean about "control" of the dodge and burn tools. I usually use the dodge and burn "brushes". I mgnify the area which I want to work on , adjust the size of the brush to just cover the area i need to edit, and then adjust the opacity of the effect to control how much effect I get per stroke.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

This one is much better IMO. I really like it. Less distortion, a more balanced composition, and it still has that sort of eerie feeling to it. The only thing I'd change: crop down from the top so that the amount of sky and foreground are about equal. That would also remove the twiggy branch up there, but you could just clone that out if you wanted more sky.

Great shot though....
    D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

Thread Information