Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smith, Blacksmith

Not finished; still a few steps to go and a few considerations to make. Tough guy to work with. I originally wanted him to wear his apron (as he did the first time I shot him), but I actually think the 'smith shirt adds a humorous/ironic touch and that it was, as it turns out, the less cliched of the two wardrobe choices.

Wondering what everyone thinks of the shot overall, as well as any details you'd address (bearing in mind that reshooting may not be an option anytime soon).

Re: Smith, Blacksmith

Two really, really good photos. I don't think I responded in the cat photo, but I loved the green hue.

This one's amazing as well. What's your secret?

Starting to think outside of the box icicle's Avatar

All in all I like it.

now for the nic-picks:
    first the horn of the anvil, looks like giant steel finger growing from his arm.
    the yellow drum or bucket is slightly distracting.

ok not as bad as I thought it was going to be.
    Feel Free to edit my photos, However please explain what you did to them.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

If it were my shot, I'd be pleased as punch with it. Maybe that's why I'm not a pro?
    Anvil and bucket don't bother me.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Like the don't mess with me attitude, and as they are a tool of the trade I'd like to see the anvil just slightly more defined and if possible some hot coals in the furnace. Very nice shot.
    Pete

Isn't it a cool thing in nature that the colours never seem to clash...

I have no issues with you editing my photos

Let me restate about the anvil, it is the one he is resting against.

Only nit-pick I have are:
    The anvils (both) fade into the background a bit much. I think I'd try a low opacity dodge brush to define their edges a little more (like if a kicker light had been used when shot)

The forehead toward left of frame is just a touch hot near the temple. I'd either airbrush or clone stamp (at 25-35% opacity) to minimize.

You got surprisingly large DoF for f/5.6 but maybe because of the short 27mm focal length. a wee bit more blur would help to separate him from the background more (but I'm really digging now)

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by icicle
    Let me restate about the anvil, it is the one he is resting against.
    Oh! That one. Yeah, I guess it is in an awkward position.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

icicle - yeah, the other anvil. I could darken it further or clone it out altogether, but that's about it. And there was originally a lot more of the bucket in there, with a wire basket on top and a piece of stationary with the "blacksmith" letterhead. lol

Photographing living subjects in complicated environments is kind of like trying to keep ten chainsaws in the air. No matter how many details you think you've noticed and handled, there's always one (or two) more that you've managed to miss. Especially difficult when you're not feeling well and the subject is giving you verbal signals to hurry it on up because he's about done (five minutes in). lol

jet - okay, I'll work on these suggestions and repost. I should say that I already did lighten up the anvils (they were really lost in the original). But I agree that they still need attention. The challenge (to me) will be where to lighten.

Will try to fix the highlights on the forehead, too. I think I've discovered a new way to do that.

Glad you noticed the dof, too. To me, it's neither here nor there - neither tack-sharp or creamy blur. I forgot that I used 5.6 - terrible choice, but (again) I wasn't thinking too clearly. (I was worried about strobe inconsistency and a very antsy subject lol) It's funny you mentioned this aspect of the image, though, because I was just looking at it thinking that the bg elements weren't really in focus so I might as well try pushing them further into bokehland.

While my untrained eyes couldn't have seen what jetrim did, personally, I like the background just as you have it. Because it isn't tack sharp, it isn't competing, but yet it is just sharp enough to see what's going on there, which, IMO, help validate his claim as blacksmith. I also didn't see the other anvil until icicle pointed it out, but s/he's right. Overall, I really like the photo, and his no-nonsense expression adds to the ruggedness of his profession.

Your editing is welcomed. A picture is worth...

All can look. Few will see. Less will know.

The Truth can be anything it will. I just want to know Truth.

Thanks, Paula. It's funny, but his natural tendency was to smile. That's what cheesed up the last set of images I took of him. It looked corny as hell. This time, I had to keep asking him to lose the smile - something he really didn't want to do.

Well here goes, without reading everyone's post. I like the background but it needs to be a little brighter and the shiny objects on the wall needs to go. For some reason I don't like how he is setting but I can't figure it out. His knees looks funny the way it is cropped. Also the left side of his face looks a little hot. But I do think it is a great subject and another go of it is worth the effort.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Thanks for the feedback, Greg. Fixed the hot spot on his face. Which shiny objects do you mean? I got rid of all the bright spots on the front of the stove, etc. If I cropped up a little past his knees, do you think that would work?

As for another go, not gonna happen with this guy, unfortunately.

That looks like a security sensor above his head and the cooper plate, top right.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

What really stands out for me is that round white blob in the mortar line of the bricks, just above the the hearth in the right most 1/4. 6 rows of mortar below the round copper thing (I think it's a pan).
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    ...For some reason I don't like how he is setting but I can't figure it out...

I thought it, but I didn't say it, because I couldn't figure it out either - but I keep going back to his jeans and something just doesn't work - maybe it's the color. I like your crop idea. I didn't really notice the shiny things on the wall till somebody said. The only one that bothers me a little is the white things. I like the copper thing.

Your editing is welcomed. A picture is worth...

All can look. Few will see. Less will know.

The Truth can be anything it will. I just want to know Truth.

Overall, this is a pretty good photo.

However, I will have to agree with Greg about the top part of the image with the two "circular" objects being a distraction. There are also some dotted lights at the right edge of the frame top corner.

Personally I like the overall lighting, and think it really works.

The issue with pose, I believe comes from the waist area... gives off an uncomfortable feeling... which contradicts with his upper body...

I dunno if the above makes sense... but anyway... hope it helps.

Nice image!
    Marc

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but rather, when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de St-Exupery

Kindly do NOT edit my photos - I would rather try and apply your advice and learn...

My Ramblings....

Thanks for the feedback. I pretty much addressed all of the points of criticism in the image, except for the pose. I'll try cropping and see if that helps, but I'm not sure how high up to crop.

Being that I'm not gonna get this guy again, I'm basically wondering what might be done to fix this image as much as possible, so I have something to show him for the time he spent...
    Last edited by draymorton; 11-20-2009 at 09:48 AM.

can you fix the white spot on the wall.

Yup.

Okay, I tried to address as many of the points as possible in this. I missed some things, but this should be indicative of the general direction. Coals in the stove could be cool, but would be tough to not make look hokey.

I think cloning things out on the wall was good.. The blur doesn't look right and most of the appeal from the picture was his surrounding imo

Agree with caleb, a smithy should be full of hard sharp things, the blur doesn't look quite right now, but anvil, bucket, and white blob changes improve a great shot. (IMO)
    Pete

Isn't it a cool thing in nature that the colours never seem to clash...

I have no issues with you editing my photos

I agree about the blur, and about the improvement... as far as the crop goes, it will take away elements from the image, that otherwise are just great.

I would say minus the blur, you've got the image!! no need for anything else.
    Marc

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but rather, when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de St-Exupery

Kindly do NOT edit my photos - I would rather try and apply your advice and learn...

My Ramblings....

Thanks for sticking with me on this, guys. Appreciate the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusK

The issue with pose, I believe comes from the waist area... gives off an uncomfortable feeling... which contradicts with his upper body...

I dunno if the above makes sense... but anyway... hope it helps.

Nice image!
    This was what I felt as well. There is something odd in the zipper area where the legs meet the torso. I did try to push the pixels around a little to give it a "flatter" look but wasn't really successful enough to share.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information