Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Mom and Baby

Mom and Baby

Hello everyone,
    My baby was born 2 1/2 weeks ago and I finally had a chance to take interesting pictures other than the snapshots for the family. Any suggestions for these two?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Re: Mom and Baby

You're kinda asking for trouble requesting a critique of these particualr shots aren't you? Even the very thickest-skinned among us would find it hard to not take any criticism of photos of our infant children and wives personally.

Well, here goes...

I think #1 is very good - definately one you will treasure. I think more contrast might improve it.

The cropping on #2 is awkward and feels haphazard. Also the eyes seem out of focus. If you had better foucs on the eyes, you would get more detail and soften the peeling skin that all babies get at that age.

GB1

Denny - I second Lava Lamp's comments. The first is really nice and has a very abstract but personal feeling to it. The second's strong point is the 'deepness' of your child's intelligence showing through his eyes, but alas, the composition is off and the depth of field is a bit too narrow (and/or focus is off).

Did you really shoot the top one in B&W or convert it? Might be interesting to see the color version.

GB
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

How are you at PS work?
    #1 A very precious capture. I love it! Adjusting your levels might also help.
    #2 Doesn't do anything for me. The composition doesn't look right and it's a shame you cropped the babies chin off. Was this in-camera composition?

Insert something witty here.. yogestee's Avatar

dennylee60,,,you and Alison are competing for Awwwwwwww points by posting cute kids pics...I like the B/W the most...It has a calmness about it...This image will live in your memory forever...Print it up and give it pride of place in your child's photo album...Just a point though,,I would have made it a tad lighter with a touch more contrast..

Lovely image..

Jurgen
    Australia
    Falang dung nyai

Please don't edit my images without my permission.

Lol @ yogestee! You should have seen the photograph I took yesterday.

Thanks everyone for the comments. I was messing around with the second one to see if I get something interesting out of it. The picture position is not a crop; I was trying to take couple pictures with the baby off-center. Well, back to the drawing board. By the way, not a problem about the negative comments, it is the only way to learn and believe me, I heard much worst!

Greg, the original is in color. I shot it using the 50mm f/1.8 lens in really low night condition (I did not want to use the flash and wake the baby). It turned out very yellow. I tried correcting it but I did not like the looks of it.

Insert something witty here.. yogestee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alison
    Lol @ yogestee! You should have seen the photograph I took yesterday.

Bring it on Alison!!

Jurgen
    Australia
    Falang dung nyai

Please don't edit my images without my permission.

Thread Information