Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    I Climb Rocks

Fine Streak Of Stars

THis photo was taken last May. It is an eight hour exposure, done with a Canon FTB ql, and a Canon 28mm lens F-stop 4. Please comment on this. I would appreciate it big time.

Devin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fine Streak Of Stars-boulder-star-trail-copy1.jpg  

Re: Fine Streak Of Stars

That is an awesome pic, the trees accentuate it nicely. Is the far left streak a planet? It sure looks bright.

I Climb Rocks

Thanks, Im not sure if it is a planet or not, it sure seems like it could be. I wish everyone could see the full size print. It has all kinds of color in it, blue greens, red, yellow, and orange, it looks a lot better than it does on the computer
    But thanks for the comment

Devin

Looks stunning to me, brilliant photograph. I wish I could see the actual version too!

I dont know i have never taken one of these b/4 isnt 8 hours a little long, dont u need like 2 or 3 and it looks a little washed out to me
    ~Something is nothing~
    ~Nothing is somthing~

Quote Originally Posted by Young Shooter
    I dont know i have never taken one of these b/4 isnt 8 hours a little long, dont u need like 2 or 3 and it looks a little washed out to me
    The angle in this diagram is about 3 hours. In a three hour exposure no star could leave a longer arc than what could be inscribed within this angle. There would also be a lot fewer streaks because in 3 hours only about 1/8 of the sky passes in front of your camera while in an 8 hour period about 1/3 of the sky does.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by metoliusdmm
    THis photo was taken last May. It is an eight hour exposure, done with a Canon FTB ql, and a Canon 28mm lens F-stop 4. Please comment on this. I would appreciate it big time.

Devin
    This is a nice star trail shot, Devin. You might try boosting the saturation in the original scan to try and get it to look like the original print. I agree that the colored trails are wonderous when you can view them.

I Climb Rocks

Quote Originally Posted by Chunk
    The angle in this diagram is about 3 hours. In a three hour exposure no star could leave a longer arc than what could be inscribed within this angle. There would also be a lot fewer streaks because in 3 hours only about 1/8 of the sky passes in front of your camera while in an 8 hour period about 1/3 of the sky does.
    Why would you send a reply like this, im sorry but it really bothers me that you have to go about the math crap to contridict my photo, sorry but it really was an eight hour exposure. I don't care what you have diagramed. Thats the deal.

Devin

Correct me if I'm wrong Chunk, but metoliusdmm, I don't think Chunk was contradicting your photo. It looks to me that he was trying to explain to young shooter that to get the arc shown in your photo, it would take MORE than 3 hours.
    Chunks response to you is in post #7.
    Lara

Why would you send a reply like this, im sorry but it really bothers me that you have to go about the math crap to contridict my photo, sorry but it really was an eight hour exposure. I don't care what you have diagramed. Thats the deal.

Devin
    I'm sorry that I wasn't clearer, Devin. I like your shot and know that it was it is as you said and wasn't trying to contradict you. I was trying to answer Young Shooter's question about why 3 hours isn't enough to get a shot like yours - that's why I made sure I replied to his post with his question quoted. I considered PMing the anser to him but thought that others might also wonder the same thing since he had voiced the question.

Once again, I apologize.

Excuse me while I burn in the sky Clicker's Avatar

... thought that others might also wonder the same thing since he had voiced the question.
    Devin, I love star trail pictures like this !

Also, Thanks Chunk,

I found the information you posted to be very helpful and informative, as I would love to capture something like this shot, but **now** i know that i'd have to do it with a fresh battery... although my camera battery says it lasts only 5 hours.. hm.
    Rachel

What happens when you hit a Thousand? Should I watch for Balloons?

Just Another Youth Sports Photographer.. smallfrypics.com's Avatar

Devin
    Helloooooo............He was trying to explain why you had done an 8 hr. exposure to answer young shooters question. If you don't like the critique that you get, then don't put you stuff here!

I Climb Rocks

Hey sorry guys, what i wrote probably wasn't the best thing to write back to someone, i apologize for the crap. Sorry i guess i just got frustrated that i thought that he was attempting to tell me that the picture was a fake, do you see where i am coming from. Sorry, i will try not to blow up like that again. actually i won't blow up like that again, Chuck, sorry man, hopefully you will still look at my photos as i post them.

Devin

Hey sorry guys, what i wrote probably wasn't the best thing to write back to someone, i apologize for the crap. Sorry i guess i just got frustrated that i thought that he was attempting to tell me that the picture was a fake, do you see where i am coming from. Sorry, i will try not to blow up like that again. actually i won't blow up like that again, Chuck, sorry man, hopefully you will still look at my photos as i post them.

Devin
    I don't think you need to apologize, I wasn't clear enough either. Keep posting please, cause I like what I see when you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Clicker
    Devin, I love star trail pictures like this !

Also, Thanks Chunk,

I found the information you posted to be very helpful and informative, as I would love to capture something like this shot, but **now** i know that i'd have to do it with a fresh battery... although my camera battery says it lasts only 5 hours.. hm.
    5 hours will make some good trails. Find a good foreground for an interesting silouhette.

I Climb Rocks

I don't think you need to apologize, I wasn't clear enough either. Keep posting please, cause I like what I see when you do.
    Cool, Thanks Man!

Devin

Thread Information