Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    Just Another Youth Sports Photographer.. smallfrypics.com's Avatar

Help Please............

I shoot mostly sports photography outdoors so I have a 70 - 200 2.8 L (Canon) That is the only lense I have..........I have kids and am wanting to do more portrait syle photography of them, both outdoors and in studio. What would be a good all around lense to get for that type of photography? (canon) Keep in mind, I,m not a "pro" photographer so keep it simple for me please.

Re: Help Please............

Quote Originally Posted by smallfrypics.com
    I shoot mostly sports photography outdoors so I have a 70 - 200 2.8 L (Canon) That is the only lense I have..........I have kids and am wanting to do more portrait syle photography of them, both outdoors and in studio. What would be a good all around lense to get for that type of photography? (canon) Keep in mind, I,m not a "pro" photographer so keep it simple for me please.
    What camera are you using? If 35 mm that lens should be fine. I think most people find mild telephotos to be good for portraits. You wouldn't want to have the flattening from the upper end of that lens though so I'd say just keep it near the lower end and you'll be fine. Some people do like normal lenses.

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Please keep in mind...

I am glad you are enthusiastic as you are about learning photography, but please keep in mind that question like this and some of the others you have posted here in the Critique Forum and not appropriate for the Critique Forum.
    A question like this would be better answered in the Help Files forum or the Digital Camera ones. You'll be more likely to get an answer in the appropriate forum than just posting a question like this in a forum that is not geared toward discussing gear matters.
    I hope you understand I'd rather you got the answer you were looking for rather than getting frustrated with the community.

To answer your question though...

The lens you have, should be fine for portraits, it has a great range. But since you are using digital you might want to consider the 24-70 lens from Canon.
    Typically, a good portrait length is in the range of 80-135, this is for a film camera. But even still with a digital camera you will do fine with.
    Good Luck!
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

I have had very good luck with portraits from the 70-200 f/2.8L. Have you tried that lens very much for this type of shooting? If you want something wider then the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 DI is a very good lens that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Greg

Just Another Youth Sports Photographer.. smallfrypics.com's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chunk
    What camera are you using? If 35 mm that lens should be fine. I think most people find mild telephotos to be good for portraits. You wouldn't want to have the flattening from the upper end of that lens though so I'd say just keep it near the lower end and you'll be fine. Some people do like normal lenses.

Sorry..........
    I am using a canon digital rebel.

You look like a pro to me ::laughs:: I like your pictures

Thread Information